232 inline six 1976 help.

232 inline six 1976 help.

Stomper

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 cj5 in corvette yellow,232 inline six(at the moment)3spd,front amd rear lockers,33's,soft top,
Hey guys and gals,I'm new here.I have searched the forums for the last hour looking for info on my AMC 232 i6 .I have toasted my valves I think? I'm wondering how is the availability of getting parts to rebuild the top end? I can here the valves not opening at the right time when I increase the rpm's? I was considering a engine swap for a v8.I just don't know how expensive or what will bolt up to my stock manual 3 spd?I would really like a easy fix because this was my daily driver.I have checked the timing chain and it seems to work fine.The six cylinder pops through the carb at anything other than an idle?So any help would be gretly appriciated on this fix.Thanks in advance!

welcome, if you take the head to a machine shop they should be able to rework the head for you including new vavles, or they might just be able regrind the valves. as far as buying them yourself you can go to your local parts store they can get them for you. it sounds to me like you could possibly have a worn camshaft lobe. have you checked to make sure the rocker arms are tight? is there excessive play in the timing chain?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...navValue=15101521&itemId=1521-0&parentId=51-0
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...navValue=15101520&itemId=1520-0&parentId=51-0

Last edited:
Hey guys and gals,I'm new here.I have searched the forums for the last hour looking for info on my AMC 232 i6 .I have toasted my valves I think? I'm wondering how is the availability of getting parts to rebuild the top end? I can here the valves not opening at the right time when I increase the rpm's? I was considering a engine swap for a v8.I just don't know how expensive or what will bolt up to my stock manual 3 spd?I would really like a easy fix because this was my daily driver.I have checked the timing chain and it seems to work fine.The six cylinder pops through the carb at anything other than an idle?So any help would be gretly appriciated on this fix.Thanks in advance!

AMC 232 i6 parts are easy to come by - no problem there.

You might have a warped sticky valve or a broken valve spring. It sounds an awful LOT like a broken valve spring, in fact. The timing chain is still TIMED right? The marks line up?

How's the ignition timing? It also sounds like your timing is MUCH too far advanced. That's a good way to roast the whole motor, if it's true.

A AMC 304 won't bolt up to the same Transmission ... completely different bolt pattern. If you want to do the AMC 304 swap, you'll need the whole driveline.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? What shape is your air injection emissions system in?? Do you still have the air pump and everything?

new here but on a polaris 4-wheeler that almost always meant a lobe was knocked off the cam. just my 2 cents

I think there is a good chance your bell housing will bolt to a AMC 304 but I don’t think I would recommend it. The un boxed frame on your 76 was not really designed for many more horses than you have There are a number of things you can do with the AMC 232 i6 to squeeze a few more ponies if you don’t have to loose sleep over emission inspections. A AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l would be a pretty good gain and you would hardly be able to tell you had changed anything by just looking at it.:cool:

Well hell, there I go being the voice of reason again. :eek:

Not only do I think you can put a AMC 304 in your jeep I bet you could even put a 401 in it!!
Now that would get the adrenalin pumping!! Not to mention the shortest distance between two gas pumps you ever saw.:eek:

Is there enough room in the I6 bellhousing for the AMC 304 's flywheel & pressure plate? That's a pretty fat flywheel.

I don't think it's a very good idea either - the T-15 is a much better Transmission for a AMC 304 .

They put 'em into CJ5s in 1973...

EDIT: That's what makes the 1973 Renegade a Renegade .

American Motors began using their own engines in 1972. Replacing the Hurricane was the one-barrel AMC 232 i6 cu in (3.8 L) (except in California). Optional was a one-barrel AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l cu in (AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l L) (standard in California). Also in 1972, AMC's AMC 304 cu in (5 L) engine became available in the same tune as a base V8 muscle car. To accommodate the new engines the fenders and hood were stretched 5 inches (127 mm) starting in 1972 and the wheelbase was stretched 3 inches (76 mm). Other drive train changes took place then as well including the front axle became a full-floating Dana 30.

Jeep CJ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess your closer than I am.:eek: what can I say, some times I can't remember what I had for lunch.:laugh:

I still don't think it's a good idea.:cool:

I'm with ya. :chug:

Lunch? What's that? :D

Thanks for all of your info guys! I think I'll be looking into getting a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .Aroung my area I have alot trouble finding parts for the AMC 232 i6 ?These parts stores are all about common and not the uncommon.I had to special order a timing chain set and exhaust gasket?They would have been two weeks out?I like the idea of having a durable,indistructable motor,with good gas mileage.No emissions here!The AMC 232 i6 idles fine,and my timing has not moved as far as the marks go.So cam lobe or valve spring sounds more like it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom