304 Performance Help or Suggestions

304 Performance Help or Suggestions
Yep- normal intake and exhaust upgrades really wake up these little V-8's.
Even with my little 2 barrel my 5 can be downright scary sometimes. I noticed a big difference with the H.E.I. and it really cleaned up the engine bay.

I ran a mild AMC 304 in my 78 AMC Concord street/strip car. It was a late 70s AMC 304 shortblock out of a CJ, early (70-early 71) AMC 304 individual stud, high compression heads with Crane roller rockers, a Crane 260 cam, Edelbrock Performer intake with a Holley 600 vac sec carb and a 1" phenolic spacer, free flow exhaust manifolds with 2 1/4" duals and an H pipe. With 4.10s and 26" tall tires, I ran 14.72s in the quarter mile.

For my next AMC 304 project, I bored one .125 over (after having the block sonic checked to make sure it could accept that much), then went with stock bore 4.0L pistons. Should be about 325 CI. As someone else said, I just want to see what I can get out of a AMC 304 .

All that being said, I agree about the 360. If one comes up, grab it. I'd probably go with the mild AMC 304 for now, then if you get a 360, swap that in later. I'm sure the AMC 304 will give you some good times in a CJ, though.

Lastly, if you want to see how a mild 360 in a CJ5 goes, check out this video (it's less than 3 minutes).

YouTube - Hot Rodded 1981 Jeep CJ-5 with AMC 360 V8 - Too much fun

Hi Imacarfan2, thanks for sharing, your suggestion makes sense about the AMC 304 then go to the 360. I had a AMC 304 in my 79 CJ7 with the Edlebrock intake, carb combo and headers with 3 inch exhaust out beneath the doors. I believe the cam was stock, it had the T-18 and 354 gears and it moved along pretty good. I bought the Jeep this way. I have an ad in Craigslist for a 360, but I am going to go ahead with the AMC 304 for the time being and build it up mildly.

That You Tube video of the CJ5 with the 360 in incredible, I have watched that video at least 50 times and have passed it on to other Jeep people.

Hello Canadian CJ7 . i plan on rebuilding my AMC 304 as well let me know how yours turns out when you do get it built. looking to build a tough reliable but fun AMC 304 in my CJ5 .

Great info everyone. I'm trying to find this oiling kit online now. I have had cj's in the past with stock 304s and they seemed to run pretty well. The one I'm building now needs rebuilt anyhow, so I'm looking at these performance mods as well. Thanks guys.:chug:

Great info everyone. I'm trying to find this oiling kit online now. I have had cj's in the past with stock 304s and they seemed to run pretty well. The one I'm building now needs rebuilt anyhow, so I'm looking at these performance mods as well. Thanks guys.:chug:
Keep us posted Titan, I will be rebuilding a AMC 304 next year for my 85 CJ. Had a AMC 304 in my 79 CJ and loved it. Good to know I am not alone with the AMC 304 rebuild.

Cheers, Brian

Keep us posted Titan, I will be rebuilding a AMC 304 next year for my 85 CJ. Had a AMC 304 in my 79 CJ and loved it. Good to know I am not alone with the AMC 304 rebuild.

Cheers, Brian

Im with you there i hope to tear into mine later this fall! would love to have the jeep done in the next year or so but i dont see that happening:(. maybe if i get a large tax return :laugh::(:(.

Well, as crazy as it sounds, our plan is to get this one done, and drive it out route 66 to California and back. We want to do the whole adventure top down, doors off. Everyone seems to think we're crazy, but we can't wait.:D

Sounds like a lot of fun Titan, that would be quite the road trip. You have to post some pictures of your Jeep on the trip.

CJ5 Guy what part of So Cal are you from? I love it down there, I usually make a trip to San Diego and Orange County every year.

Bulltear has the oiling kit & everything else for AMC V8's
Brian Johnson wrote a book "BJ Builds an AMC"that's a good reference.;)

Sounds like a lot of fun Titan, that would be quite the road trip. You have to post some pictures of your Jeep on the trip.

CJ5 Guy what part of So Cal are you from? I love it down there, I usually make a trip to San Diego and Orange County every year.

Im stationed in San Diego right now at least until June of 2012. let me know when you come down here again! and i would love to do the Route 66 in a cj! maybe once i got a 7 from my old man and fix it up for crusin!

Well, as crazy as it sounds, our plan is to get this one done, and drive it out route 66 to California and back. We want to do the whole adventure top down, doors off. Everyone seems to think we're crazy, but we can't wait.:D

Im stationed in San Diego right now at least until June of 2012. let me know when you come down here again! and i would love to do the Route 66 in a cj! maybe once i got a 7 from my old man and fix it up for crusin!

Now come on Y'all Buz & Tod already did that whole "Route 66'" Find the meaning of life thing in a early Corvette.:rolleyes:
In a Jeep shouldn't it be "Rubicon Trail", "Sierra Trek", or "Moab"?:laugh:

I am right there with you... my intention was to build mine and go to Mount Rushmore, check it out, then do Rt. 66... then back along the south and up the east coast... here is my problem.

1) Time
2) Money
3) Wife
4) House
5) New baby.

So, in retrospect, I should have done it the DAY I got the first Jeep... now I have to win the lottery and have my wife/kid fly out and meet me there ;)

cb

Thanks CJ5 guy, I look you up when I am down next. Was at the USS Midway last October, I could have spent a couple days on board, loved the ship and all the vintage jets, especially the Voight Crusader. Also enjoyed the Queen Mary in Long Beach. Good luck with your Route 66 plans. :chug:

I am right there with you... my intention was to build mine and go to Mount Rushmore, check it out, then do Rt. 66... then back along the south and up the east coast... here is my problem.

1) Time
2) Money
3) Wife
4) House
5) New baby.

So, in retrospect, I should have done it the DAY I got the first Jeep... now I have to win the lottery and have my wife/kid fly out and meet me there ;)

cb

Im right there with you except no house and add 2 car payments. good news is that the jeep is the only one that is paid for so if all else fails i can fix the jeep and sell one of the others! but not likely. however i hope that when i reenlist i can use some of that money to finish the jeep!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom