43-8 x 5.38 axles in a CJ5 ????

43-8 x 5.38 axles in a CJ5 ????

watersteps

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ 5 1970 V6, being rebuilt into a Roadster
Hi Guys,
I recently picked up a 1970 CJ5 as a project. A parts jeep came with the deal, it is a 1965 thru 1969 CJ5 or M38A1. The body was junk on the parts jeep so I removed it and scrapped it. I then checked the axle housing for gear numbers and this is what I found 43-8 and 5.38 on the front and rear housing.
Could this be original or were the housing replaced???

Hi Guys,
I recently picked up a 1970 CJ5 as a project. A parts jeep came with the deal, it is a 1965 thru 1969 CJ5 or M38A1. The body was junk on the parts jeep so I removed it and scrapped it. I then checked the axle housing for gear numbers and this is what I found 43-8 and 5.38 on the front and rear housing.
Could this be original or were the housing replaced???
The early/mid CJ's commonly came with 4.27 and 5.38 optional.
Did you say you were building a roadster?

Last edited:
Thanks Sasquach,

Yes I am building a roadster, WOW the pic you attached is just a little lower then I had in mind.
I am still looking for some roadster pics to help me decide how low I should go.
Thanks again, watersteps

hahah that roadster is crazy.

...and sometimes I look at my jeep and think I "why did I do this"...that roadster makes my jeep make perfect sense.

The early/mid CJ's commonly came with 4.27 and 5.38 optional.
Did you say you were building a roadster?

OMG i have to build one!

Yea looks cool but what would you do with it. It would get stuck pulling out of a driveway with a downward slope. Or a speed bump.

Yea looks cool but what would you do with it. It would get stuck pulling out of a driveway with a downward slope. Or a speed bump.
My next door neighbor has a Ford bodied Roadster and I've seen him drive it 1 time in the last 5 years.:D

Well I'm sure it rides on air, nothing can be driven that low to the ground.. and roadsters are just plain cool.. being a CJ just makes this one waaay cool..:cool:

OK, thanks a lot guys, 2 questions, what is the 43-8 stand for on the tag on the rear pumpkin? And how do you start a rebuild thread or picture story?? My last rebuild was 245 pictures.

43/8=5.375 ratio round up. 5.38

OK, thanks a lot guys, 2 questions, what is the 43-8 stand for on the tag on the rear pumpkin? And how do you start a rebuild thread or picture story?? My last rebuild was 245 pictures.

43-Ring and 8-pinion tooth count.

Thanks Again, I should have known that, I built a lot of rears 30 to 40 years ago and now some of it is coming back.

Heres more pictures of that jeep
low_ride.jpg
http://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6395 http://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=6395

Looks like a go kart, must be fun to drive.....on the street.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom