suburban99

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7 304 V8
2011 Silverado 4x4
2004.5 Dodge Cummins Diesel
1997 Porsche Boxster
Finally getting to drive my 1980 CJ7 around the property a bit. Built a new back bumper and integrated the rear crossmember into it last week. Basically a copy of the warn but reinforced the frame ends and welded it on. Anyway I got stuck last night in the loose gravel near my barn, I locked the hubs and put the Transfer Case in 4 hi but could not get the front wheels to turn. I am thinking a blown hub? The front driveshaft was turning according to my Son, but the forward movement of the jeep could be turning the shaft. I believe the 300 is gear drive so I don't think the Transfer Case is the issue. Low range works. Any thoughts? Here is a before and after of the rear bumper.

sounds like the same problem when my hubs where shot. got some used warn ones off of ebay and been working like a charm for two years now.

Good info there. I havent drove my CJ yet. I have mine running but the brakes were toast. I hope to try and move it around in the next week to see how the Transmission and 4x4 works.

If I'm reading this right, you say hi range doesn't work but low range does right? if so it can't be the hubs, as it wouldn't matter what range you were in. On the flip side if the front drive shaft is turning and not the wheels it would sound like the hubs. Is there any chance you didn't have one of the hubs locked in?

I'm with Old Dog, sounds like his idea or possibly the linkage to the Transfer Case not allowing 4H somehow, but 4Lo ok... I think i might take off the inspection plate and look at whats going on there while shifting between Transfer Case locations... Maybe something is getting bound up or loose...

??

:chug:

With the front wheels on the ground, the Transfer Case in neutral or 2wd, lock the front hubs. Now attempt to turn the front driveshaft, if it turns the problem is in the front end (could be the hubs). If it does not turn the front is likely fine. Now unlock the hubs , shift the Transfer Case into 4WD high, try to turn, if it does the problem is in the Transfer Case .

If I'm reading this right, you say hi range doesn't work but low range does right? if so it can't be the hubs, as it wouldn't matter what range you were in. On the flip side if the front drive shaft is turning and not the wheels it would sound like the hubs. Is there any chance you didn't have one of the hubs locked in?

To clarify, hi range and low range both work but the front wheels do not engage. To find out which hub might be causing trouble I jammed a small crowbar in the u-joint at the axle shaft, jacked the tire of the ground locked the hub and tried to turn the wheel. The left wheel would not turn under these conditions but the right one did. Took off the wheel, locking hub, snap rings, wheel hub, and spindle, and pulled the axle. The small needle bearings in the spindle are worn and need replacing, as do the seals and bearings for the wheel hub. Also need to replace the u-joint as it is quite worn. I will do both sides while I am in there. A picture of removing the small needle bearing...hub was jammed with mud...

For anyone who is interested here is the inner and outer races/bearings and seal need to rebuild the hub on a 1980. Also the small needle bearing that the axle runs on.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom