76 CJ5 Vacuum Advance

76 CJ5 Vacuum Advance

drew2468

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76 CJ-5, 6 cyl 258 cid, previous owner installed an Edelbrock cam and exhaust header specs unknown, rest is stock as far as I know
The Vacuum Advance on my 76 CJ5 is not working. I sucked on the hose while observing the advance pot mechanism and was able to pull a lot of air but nothing happened.
Where can I find one of these? I searched JC Whitney and 4WD with no luck.
A side question:is it really necessary?

Go to a good auto parts store. Any vac advance from any 6cyl AMC engine should work.And yes it is needed.

I still love the old point systems.Easy to trouble shoot easy and cheap to fix.

Points? in a 76??
not the way it came from Toledo, I don't think.:confused:

somebody tell me different??

Thanks for the info and the very informative link Genuine Junk Yard Genius.com Ignition Upgrade, Jeep 258 CID I-6
My '76 has a Motorcraft 12A199 electronic module with a 6 lob magnetic rotor in the distributor. Don't think this is the stock configuration since my Hayes manual does not cover it.
And I too surely miss points. I could understand how they made a spark.

Points? in a 76??
not the way it came from Toledo, I don't think.:confused:

somebody tell me different??

It was probably changed over in the past 30+ yrs. But I do like points.THere is no extra electrics or vacuum lines on my old Jeep.

The ign parts listed above are from an '82 ford i6 300 c.I.d. A common upgrade, didn't know this until I started replacing stuff and the ign module pn# listed above came back to a ford.

Maybe AMC installed these from the factory but I doubt it. I have to say it works great in my '76 with the Team Rush cap mod.

I like points too, but if an electronic ign system is installed right then it has better performance and NO maintaining needed.

I still love the old point systems.Easy to trouble shoot easy and cheap to fix.

I was told the Presidents car uses points as they are not susceptible to certain electronic bombs.

If I am close enough to a thermo nuclear blast for it to fry my electronics, the driving the jeep will be a very small concern.:(

Hey IO, gonna be a nerd here.

An EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) is a secondary effect of a thermo nuclear detonation, but there are Nukes that now focus on EMPs as their primary release of energy.

Even congress has been briefed that this as the most likely type of "first strike" by an enemy before invasion (AHEM..china).

It would take only 2 to 4 of these to detonate in 80 mi. of altitude to disable every single microchip supported device in the U.S., you wouldnt even see the bombs, and no fall out.

So, do yourselves a favor boys, if you take out your point sets, SAVE THEM

Hey IO, gonna be a nerd here.

An EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) is a secondary effect of a thermo nuclear detonation, but there are Nukes that now focus on EMPs as their primary release of energy.

Even congress has been briefed that this as the most likely type of "first strike" by an enemy before invasion (AHEM..china).

It would take only 2 to 4 of these to detonate in 80 mi. of altitude to disable every single microchip supported device in the U.S., you wouldnt even see the bombs, and no fall out.

So, do yourselves a favor boys, if you take out your point sets, SAVE THEM
A very interesting twist to the way this thread is going; and I love it. BTW, after about 30 to 45 mins going through several books and computer screens at an independent Car Quest parts house I am the proud owner of the proper vacumn advance pot for my CJ5 . Hudge thanks to all who joined this discussion. Now where did I put that dwell meter? :rolleyes:

The Vacuum Advance on my 76 CJ5 is not working. I sucked on the hose while observing the advance pot mechanism and was able to pull a lot of air but nothing happened.
Where can I find one of these? I searched JC Whitney and 4WD with no luck.
A side question:is it really necessary?

I agree with previous post....yes you do need vacuum advance.

If you really want the points/condenser set-up....you might try morris4x4.com.

I suggest you consider switching over to a GMC H.E.I. distributor. Very simple, (one B+ wire to dist.) and very reliable. The coil is in the cap. You can buy them on ebay for around $79, (& up). You Jeep will run much better......much better.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom