78 CJ5 rearend drive=line problem

78 CJ5 rearend drive=line problem

smitty

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ5
I just recently put a 700r4 backed with an NP208 transfer case in my 78 CJ5. i am having a problem getting the drive line to not have so much of a bad angle. is there a way that i can move the rear end back and how or roll the rear end up towards the back of the transfer case? Any ideas are helpful

That is the longest combination of trans and t-case you could get.
Best option is a TH350 to shorten things up and help with that angle.
That being said however, is this a street driven rig or just offroad?
what motor also?

It is powered by a Chevrolet V-6. yes it its a long combination but somehow i do believe that with some modification it will work. i just dont know where to begin

how much lift on it? Could you drop the tranfercase a bit?

It is my understanding that rolling the rearend up to point towards the t-case is not a good idea. And moving the rearend back would defeat the purpose of having a 5 (short wheelbase).

Move the engine forward towards the radiator get a CV rear driveshaft cut the perches off the rear axle and follow driveshaft makers instructions on linning it back up I dont know if thats enough but I think that will help you live wth the combo :chug:

Move the engine forward towards the radiator get a CV rear driveshaft cut the perches off the rear axle and follow driveshaft makers instructions on linning it back up I dont know if thats enough but I think that will help you live wth the combo :chug:

X2.;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks