79 Tub

79 Tub

will13fox

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ7 original stock V8 and original stock tranny
Looking at getting a tub for my 79 CJ7 . Right now I'm searching craigslist anyone know what year range will work I'm finding a lot of 85's will it work?

I can only think of two real differences .

1. The later models used different door strikers for the paddle style door handles.

2. The later models also had a roll bar tha bolted to the rear floor right behind the seats , not just on the wheel tubs.

That said either will work with your "79

Also the '81 and older that didn't have the paddle style hard doors lacked the B Pillar right behind the door opening. Instead there were just two braces that ran from the wheelhouse over to the side panel. The '79 and up had the floor mounted roll bar.

My first Jeep was a '79 and that thing was a bondo bucket. Both side panels all the bondo cracked because it only had those two small braces instead of the B Pillar like my '85 has.

Ok well now I'm thinking mine might not be the original tub. The first give away was the scraped off data plate. Now after reading your reply's my role bars are not right. They mount to the floor in front and behind the seat as well as on the wheel well. All and all not that big of a deal because I'm gonna put in a new one.

Also the '81 and older that didn't have the paddle style hard doors lacked the B Pillar right behind the door opening. Instead there were just two braces that ran from the wheelhouse over to the side panel. The '79 and up had the floor mounted roll bar.

My first Jeep was a '79 and that thing was a bondo bucket. Both side panels all the bondo cracked because it only had those two small braces instead of the B Pillar like my '85 has.

Mine is all bondo as well and underneath you can see more carpet than metal.

The YJ tubs will work also. There are a lot of threads on people putting a YJ tub on there CJ.

Mine is all bondo as well and underneath you can see more carpet than metal.

That would be correct for a '79. The '76-'78 roll bar was welded to a piece of angle on both sides that had 4 TORX bolts that attached from outside on the sides of the tub thru the angle. The '79 up attached to the floor behind the front seats and also to the top of the fender well in the back.

The YJ tubs will work also. There are a lot of threads on people putting a YJ tub on there CJ.

^^^^He's right!^^^^

I put a YJ tub on mine, there are a few things that you will need to do to make it work, but they are pretty simple if you have basic skills, a welder and grinder. I have a build thread that goes through it, and there are others.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom