Build Thread 81 CJ5 "build"

Build Thread 81 CJ5 "build"
I stretched my '77 CJ5 rear 6" and it made a big difference in ride due to longer 50" springs and it was able to follow all the longer Jeeps around Moab with ease. Before the stretch I would suffer on the tall ledges nearly flipping on the lid.

You don't have to do a comp cut, just cut all the way to the corner of the tub and overlay a sheet of steel to cover the large gap in front of the the tire. For the gas tank, cutout the tub behind the tank, just under the floor and extend the frame rails to 4" beyond the tub and attach a strong bumper. Build a tank box and use the bumper for the back support and adjust as required for the front support. Build a cover for the gap and nobody will even notice.

Use XJ rear springs for mockup. The front eye to center pin is the same as a CJ. When installed in reverse, you'll get the 6" stretch.

well another 5 months of not being around long enough to get anything accomplished has again derailed any progress. I was able to get the twin sticking done before i left, pictures to come of that. it was quite the endeavor, about cut my thumb off with my el-cheapo scissor type tranny jack. i made my own shifters from 1 1/8" wrenches, flat steel bar, and some spacers/washers/nut/bolt.

I did have to cut one of the tabs off where the factory shifter mounted, could not clock it up as far as i wanted without it hitting the tranny. It was aluminum and gave way to a sawzall rather quickly. i only had to do some minor trimming to the floor, so little that the stock shifter boot still fits over it. i didnt go completely flat, one hole down, but its higher than the tranny mount now so i'm happy with it. I've heard of some oiling issues when going too high. now i just need to build a new tranny mount and skid plate.

new clutch/pressure plate installed as well. it's needed a clutch since i bought it 4 years ago. after teaching my 2 teenage sons to drive a stick in it, it was toast for sure.

one day i'll get to take this thing off the road and do real work to it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom