Build Thread 84 Jeep CJ7 Project

Austin

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7 - 258 i6 4.2
Trans - Borg-Warner T-5
Tansfer Case - Dana 300
After recently getting into Jeeps about a year ago I've decided to find and built a project Jeep. Here are some pictures from when I first found it and hauled it away. Local buy, guy wanted $2300 so he got $1700 and his wife was happy to see the lawn ornament gone.
1984 CJ7
AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l i6 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 5-spd
IMG_2036.jpg
IMG_2037.jpg
IMG_2038.jpg
DSC_0107.jpg
DSC_0114.jpg

Here it goes...follow along as I rebuilt it. May need the encouragement at times :-)

Some profile pictures while at the local shop for a once over before the tear down begins.

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_0182.jpg

Out with old in with the new...

IMG_2183.jpg
Weber 32/36

Had to get it in decent running condition to make it home after having the shop look at it. Determined I needed a carb and distributor.

IMG_2186.jpg
D.U.I Performance Dist

It looks good 50 feet away :-)

Tub was rusted through and covered with putty. Tub, windshield frame, fenders and hood needs replacing. Also found the passenger rear frame horn is rusted through. All the great surprises revealed.

Pictures of these surprises to follow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry for all the pictures and posts...trying to get the thread caught up to where I am.

Here is the before and after of taking out the seats and carpet.

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2231.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

Thanks to the PO for welding the now rusted bumpers and side steps onto the frame! This should be fun! How many others have encountered this?

It looks to me like a great place to start. The rust doesn't look too bad:

the body looks pretty good except for the front floor pan which is a very common spot. Usually under carpet is the wort for rust - I think that hard top was on most of this Jeep's life. A good thing for you!

And the frame rust didn't look to serious either, but I think I can see some cracks that should be welded up. You can cut those steps off and grind it smooth if you dont want them.

Are you going to modify the Jeep or restore it stock?

well if its any consolation i ve just got a 82 CJ7 down here in glen burnie that iam going to have to do some work on. starting with the front brakes. well see how it goes

ok, in those pics things aren't looking so rosy:doh:

Well, since its a CJ7 , you'll find quite a bit of information around here on swapping a YJ tub on. Seems like a practical way to go for someone who isn't big into fabricating.

Owning a CJ isn't known for going 'according to plan.' Best of luck and keep the updates/pics rollin. :)

well if its any consolation i ve just got a 82 CJ7 down here in glen burnie that iam going to have to do some work on. starting with the front brakes. well see how it goes

Always nice to know a fellow Md'r that is close by. Im in Bel Air, not too far from you.

Take pictures! I'll be doing my brakes eventually and nice to have pictures to turn to.

ok, in those pics things aren't looking so rosy:doh:

Well, since its a CJ7 , you'll find quite a bit of information around here on swapping a YJ tub on. Seems like a practical way to go for someone who isn't big into fabricating.

Owning a CJ isn't known for going 'according to plan.' Best of luck and keep the updates/pics rollin. :)

Spent a good part of today continuing the tear down to get the tub off. Can finally say the only thing holding it on now are the body to frame bolts (which can be a pain all in itself I've heard).

Thankfully I've made a trip already and found a great new replacement CJ7 steel tub, fenders, hood, grill and windshield frame from Willy's-Overland Tub. All line x'd inside and underneath and even red line x'd all around.

IMG_3035.png

im working on my youngest son to do that , he is the computer garu, but he is busy working on his CJ5 . i shall persist. and hopefully pics will follow.

im working on my youngest son to do that , he is the computer garu, but he is busy working on his CJ5 . i shall persist. and hopefully pics will follow.

I typically have to recruit the fiancé to capture the action shots. Most everything else is done with the iPhone. My dad use to use me as the camera man while working on his 68 GTO. It's all fun either way.

Time to say good-bye to those rusty bumpers welded to the frame. My buddy Mike and a little help from his friend plasma cutter. Come to find out the plasma cutter tip was messed up and had to revert to the cut of wheel for the rear bumper.

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

Time to park it and begin the tear down.

IMG_2798.jpg

First things off..doors and spare tire.

IMG_2797.jpg

Then the tire carrier

IMG_2799.jpg

Tail lights...going...going...

IMG_2819.jpg

Gone

IMG_2826.jpg

Now you see them...

IMG_2827.jpg

Now you don't

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom