85 CJ7 Tub hat channel

85 CJ7 Tub hat channel

kanstiss85cj

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 4.2L, T177, Dana 300
Hi all,

Has anyone here ever used 1"x2" tubing to replace sections of hat channel under their tub? My mid-mounts, where the roll bar mounts, all in that area are rusted out. Pretty common on a lot of CJ's. I do not want to spend the 50 a piece through classic enterprises for new ones. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Kris

Hi all,

Has anyone here ever used 1"x2" tubing to replace sections of hat channel under their tub? My mid-mounts, where the roll bar mounts, all in that area are rusted out. Pretty common on a lot of CJ's. I do not want to spend the 50 a piece through classic enterprises for new ones. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Kris

:)Sure you can use square tube or any other metal. But, How well do you fab steel? 1x2 square tube will still cost you $3-$4 a foot, then your bending and fitting starts...........If you have good sheet metal on either side and can drill out the spot welds and replace it with a hat channel from classic @ $50 ea. will ..........."Time is Money". I also believe the original channel dimension wise is less than 1" inch.
Not trying to discourage you from honing your skills but there stuff requires minimal trimming and your installing & welding. I do a lot of fab work and there are just some things that your time is better spent at.
Just my opinion.
:D:D:D:D

Well actually, I have a good Fab shop at home. Anything from a Bridgeport to all Miller welding equipment. I am a student getting ready to start my senior year. My major is Welding Engineering lol. Im pretty decent. I was just curious about it. I have to replace the "foot" area of my floor pans anyway. As far as metal, I get it a little bit cheaper from a place back home. They sell me drop pieces for cash or will cut it for me. Either way, I was not going to replace the entire piece of channel. Just about the last foot or so where it goes back to the mid mount.

Last edited:
Well actually, I have a good Fab shop at home. Anything from a Bridgeport to all Miller welding equipment. I am a student getting ready to start my senior year. My major is Welding Engineering lol. Im pretty decent. I was just curious about it. I have to replace the "foot" area of my floor pans anyway. As far as metal, I get it a little bit cheaper from a place back home. They sell me drop pieces for cash or will cut it for me. Either way, I was not going to replace the entire piece of channel. Just about the last foot or so where it goes back to the mid mount.

:)Well good for you, always nice to have equipment and the knowledge to use it.
Good luck on your project..........send us some photo's.
:D:D:D:D

I want to post a build thread as soon as I get home to build it lol. I am currently in Louisiana working for John Deere at their plant here. I am on my internship. 2 weeks left. I am ordering and buying things from here and getting everything together so when I get home I can start in on it.

I saw hat channel for 9.99 per piece on ebay, 2" wide by 3' long, said they would combine ship cost on up to 5 pieces at a time, also Quadratec has a 3 piece rear floor kit for apx. $25 plus ship...sometimes already cut is worth the few extra dollars.
Just bought some 2"x2" (1\8" wall) square tube from Metal Express, they had a local warhouse in my area, didnt charge to cut to my specs, worked well for my needs.
later, Ed:chug:

I saw hat channel for 9.99 per piece on ebay, 2" wide by 3' long, said they would combine ship cost on up to 5 pieces at a time, also Quadratec has a 3 piece rear floor kit for apx. $25 plus ship...sometimes already cut is worth the few extra dollars.
Just bought some 2"x2" (1\8" wall) square tube from Metal Express, they had a local warhouse in my area, didnt charge to cut to my specs, worked well for my needs.
later, Ed:chug:

Where did you see that at? I have only seen the rear floor supports and not the outer supports under the driver seat.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom