advice on 4.0 head swap

advice on 4.0 head swap

cj7pimp

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 cj7 all stock. has the inline 6 with a five speed tranny.
i have an 82 CJ7 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and stock carb. i am looking to get a 4.0 head and also do the fuel injection on it. i can get an engine from a 91 xj that has 205000 miles on it for 300.00 with all pieces and computer and harness. would this be a good deal or should i just pull a head from a junkyard and all the pieces i need from there. also looking to do the serpentine swap. might be able to get entire engine a little cheaper. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

nobody has any input on this as to whether or not i should buy the engine or get parts from the junkyard.

I would just put the 4.0 in instead of trying to get the head and fuel injection to work on the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I think the 4.0 high output is great engine.
this is the way I'm going when I have the funds and a garage to work in.

yeah that could be an option but i heard that it is harder to swap over the 4.0 into the cj then to just do the head swap and the fuel injection

How many miles are on your current engine? At over 205k miles, i would be hesitant to install that (donor) motor without a rebuild.....the head however can be rebuilt cheaply and you wont have to change much physically to make it all work.

Yes. I am a proponent for the 4.0 headswap :D

How many miles are on your current engine? At over 205k miles, i would be hesitant to install that (donor) motor without a rebuild.....the head however can be rebuilt cheaply and you wont have to change much physically to make it all work.

Yes. I am a proponent for the 4.0 headswap :D

This

I just did the head swap on mine, and while not a direct bolt on, there's not a whole lot to change.

yeah my plan was to try and get the entire engine for around $200 so i could have the head, manifolds, injectors, fuel rain, and harnesses and all. i would scrap the rest of the block and just use the pieces that i needed for the fuel injection and head swap.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom