air filter housing ?

air filter housing ?

dalefan88

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj5 258, t150, dana 20 transfer case, dana 30 front, 20 rear,warn hubs,2.5" procomp lift,teamrush,msd box,mc2100 carb,hedman header,clifford intake,optima battery, ford shock towers.
i have a motorcraft carb and was running a open aircleaner on it cause it was all i could fit on it. well the last time my daughter and i went out playing we got some mud on the filter. so i cut a hole in the stock air filter housing and mounted the base of the open airfilter housing to the bottom to make it fit. it mounts up perfect.

my ? is where do i put the vaccuum hose on the carb that works the flap that sucks hot air off the manifold for cold starting.

Manifold vacuum to senser in base of filter housing the from there to air valve flapper. Any vacuum sourse should work.

the best place is on the CTO switch/valve so the little flap is open when it is cold and closed when it warms up.:cool:

the best place is on the CTO switch/valve so the little flap is open when it is cold and closed when it warms up.:cool:

is the cto one of the vaccum ports that screw into the side of the engine block?

I think the outer port on the CTO is the controled port but if you pipe to the thermal senser in the base of the filter house then that controls the flapper as it should so it won't mater imo.

I think the outer port on the CTO is the controled port but if you pipe to the thermal senser in the base of the filter house then that controls the flapper as it should so it won't mater imo.

that sener went by by when i cut the hole to make the housing fit.

That senser reads air temp in the filter house and operates the flapper as needed. If you hook it up to any any vacuum then thats not good because it's allways gona be closed and if you hook it up to the CTO then that would be better as engine temperature would operate the flapper but still not right. I would leave it un hooked but then I'm not the one with cold starting problems. Try IO's method and see how it works.

That senser reads air temp in the filter house and operates the flapper as needed. If you hook it up to any any vacuum then thats not good because it's allways gona be closed and if you hook it up to the CTO then that would be better as engine temperature would operate the flapper but still not right. I would leave it un hooked but then I'm not the one with cold starting problems. Try IO's method and see how it works.

i really dont drive it much in the winter. i just wanted to see if i could get it to some what work. my main thing was to keep mud and water out of the air filter.

i still have the valve. just have to figure out how to remount it in there.

I just looked at the 77 and it is not vacuum controlled. Do you still have the "cook stove" on the exhaust manifold to hook the aluminum foil hose to??:cool:

I just looked at the 77 and it is not vacuum controlled. Do you still have the "cook stove" on the exhaust manifold to hook the aluminum foil hose to??:cool:

ya i put it all back on when i modified the housing.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom