Alternator Swapout Issues...info needed

Alternator Swapout Issues...info needed

project74

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5, 304v8... purchased 8/8/11
Working on my 74 that previous owner had installed a later model alternator with internal regulator...problem was a badly home welded\fixed broken alt bracket. So I track down a good bracket for 74 models and replace the alt with the same type...since the wiring and all is already set up that way, also the newer style alt has more amps than the original...
Here's the issue, the new style alt is too big to fit into the correct 74 bracket...?
What newer style\higher amp\internal regulated alternators will fit my 74 bracket correctly?
OR...is the 74 style alt already internally regulated and is 40-ish amps enough?
thanks for any insight, Ed:chug:

I milled the alt housing down (the ear thinner) to accommodate a newer GM alt on my 72.

attachment.php

Cj, It's the body of the alt that is bigger and when held into place the fan on the pulley rubs the inside edges of the bracket? If I try to clearance the bracket It will make it weaker...
I looked up Napa and they have a 55 amp for $50 but it's ext. regulator....I am just trying not to go backward with the electricals too.

I just added an image to my original post, does that help? I milled that alt housing. I took it (the alt) apart and put the housing on my Bridgeport.

Why would you have a problem with a remote regulator?? Major cause of regulator failure is heat build up inside the alternator. I would thin a remote would be a good thing. I don't know about 55 amps, depends on what you are running with it.:cool:

Just put a cs144 on my 8 and had the same problem. I decided that cutting and spreading the bracket at the bottom, then welding plates on both sides, was the strongest way to go. Sorry, no pics :eek:

Thanks CJ, Looks like I'm gonna have to fab something up. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
Ed

Cj, It's the body of the alt that is bigger and when held into place the fan on the pulley rubs the inside edges of the bracket? If I try to clearance the bracket It will make it weaker...
I looked up Napa and they have a 55 amp for $50 but it's ext. regulator....I am just trying not to go backward with the electricals too.
I just replaced my original 1973 setup with a Napa single wire alternator. I had to swap the fan from my original to the new one. This meant opening the hole up a few thousands of an inch and placing a shim behind the fan. I also had to cut and weld up the back bracket to fit the wider lug on the new alternator.

the trick to modifying the mount for a cs144 is to change the part that mounts the alternator and not the part that mounts to the engine. That sounds a little cryptic but make it bigger from the top not the bottom. :D

~~~ the trick to modifying the mount for a cs144 is to change the part that mounts the alternator and not the part that mounts to the engine. That sounds a little cryptic but make it bigger from the top not the bottom. :D
Just the opposite of my thought, I have the ability to alter the alternator - but we had the same idea. :)

Got it taken care of. Looks like the pulleys line up nice, I ended up cutting back the outside edge of the alt. fan blades for clearence.
023_thumb.jpg
025_thumb.jpg
:chug:

It was not practical for me to dismantle the alternator. Rush power systems 140 amp CS144, and my Bridgeport was in the laundry.:D

Just the opposite of my thought, I have the ability to alter the alternator - but we had the same idea. :)

It was not practical for me to dismantle the alternator. Rush power systems 140 amp CS144, and my Bridgeport was in the laundry.:D
LMAO! :laugh: Just sayin' we were sayin' the same thing... Just attacked it from opposite sides! :chug:

One heck of a laundry basket ya got there. :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom