AMC 20 Disc Brakes

AMC 20 Disc Brakes

Ultrunner

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘85 CJ7, SCB 350, AX15, D30, Upgraded AMC20, D300
I am few bolts away from pulling my front and rear axles out from the frame. I have an AMC20 rear and am installing a Moser one-piece shaft, swapping out the ring and pinion and replacing all the bearings and seals.

I thought while I'm at it, upgrading to disc brakes. I have seen the SSBC kits and have read okay reviews, nothing earth shattering either way, so I decided to go that route until...

I just found out that SSBC closed its doors and the kits are no longer available. Are there any other routes to converting to disc brakes on the rear end or should I just stick with a good drum rebuild?

You will need to change out your MC, and maybe the proportioning valve.
LG

You will need to change out your MC, and maybe the proportioning valve.

LG

LG, understand. I fully intended on doing both, but not sure what to do about mounts, calipers, rotors etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other thing to think about-Parking brake......:confused:
LG

The kits i've seen have the parking brake as an integral part of the caliper.

TSM. Call and ask questions. I was glad I did.

There's some pictures in my build thread.

TSM. Call and ask questions. I was glad I did.

There's some pictures in my build thread.

I’ll be sure to take a look once at that part of the build. This is new to me, but as you’ve mentioned I’ve had a lot of support whenever I’ve called any of these entities.

I’ve ordered the kit from JEGS. Comes with parking brake and all. Won’t ship for another two weeks therefore I have time to research and familiarize myself with installation.

Any recommendations on master cylinder requirements. This seems a little harder to figure out. I’m. It sure of size, size of lines etc...

I’ve ordered the kit from JEGS. Comes with parking brake and all. Won’t ship for another two weeks therefore I have time to research and familiarize myself with installation.

Any recommendations on master cylinder requirements. This seems a little harder to figure out. I’m. It sure of size, size of lines etc...

You will need a master cylinder and prop valve that matches your system. If you have discs up front and put discs in the rear, you'll need a disc/disc master cylinder and matching prop valve.

Google The Jeep Guy and click on the Brakes tab. He has everything listed out, but you can probably get everything cheaper elsewhere.

I replaced all 4 drums with discs and ran all new brake lines. Do yourself a favor and get NiCopp brake line. Easy to bend and it's resistant to corrosion. SS is a pain in the butt to bend. I used all 3/16" line. You can get kits from Amazon pretty cheap. I had plenty of left over with a 25' roll...came with fittings too.

You will need a master cylinder and prop valve that matches your system. If you have discs up front and put discs in the rear, you'll need a disc/disc master cylinder and matching prop valve.

Google The Jeep Guy and click on the Brakes tab. He has everything listed out, but you can probably get everything cheaper elsewhere.

I replaced all 4 drums with discs and ran all new brake lines. Do yourself a favor and get NiCopp brake line. Easy to bend and it's resistant to corrosion. SS is a pain in the butt to bend. I used all 3/16" line. You can get kits from Amazon pretty cheap. I had plenty of left over with a 25' roll...came with fittings too.

You still need a flaring kit too, right?

And, what about that coiled wire around the OEM lines so they don't get rubbed through by anything? Is there anything to put on the new lines to protect them? I'm assuming you can't take off the original coiled stuff..

You still need a flaring kit too, right?

And, what about that coiled wire around the OEM lines so they don't get rubbed through by anything? Is there anything to put on the new lines to protect them? I'm assuming you can't take off the original coiled stuff..
Any auto parts store will loan you a flaring tool.

As far as the cooked wire, they sell combo packs on Amazon. Brake line, coiled wire, and flare nuts.

Sent via Google translate using braille through Tapatalk

This has been an awesome post. Thanks for the feedback. “The Jeep Guy” site is pretty awesome how he lays it out. From what I’ve seen other places his proportioning valve is similarly priced.

I still need to look into the brake lines you mentioned. Did you need a tool to bend it cleanly or did you just do it by hand? I’m pretty sure my kit will come with the lines that mount across the axle. Thanks again.

This has been an awesome post. Thanks for the feedback. “The Jeep Guy” site is pretty awesome how he lays it out. From what I’ve seen other places his proportioning valve is similarly priced.

I still need to look into the brake lines you mentioned. Did you need a tool to bend it cleanly or did you just do it by hand? I’m pretty sure my kit will come with the lines that mount across the axle. Thanks again.

NiCopp bends easily by hand, but if you want a clean look, you'll want some sort of bending tool. A socket, coffee mug, or whatever you want to use. If you mess it up, it's easy to bend it back...unless it was a fairly tight bend.

You kit will probably not come with the brake lines that run across the rear axle. It will come with soft lines to tie the calipers to the hard lines.

Sent via Google translate using braille through Tapatalk

cglax6 thanks so much for your invaluable insight.

So I ran into a new snag. The company that makes the drum to disc conversion kit for AMC20 went under. I ordered what I thought was among the last of their stock back in July and am being told that they cannot fulfill the order.

Has anyone pieced out the disc conversion a-la-cart? Not sure what parts I need. What kind of brackets will fit etc...

So I ran into a new snag. The company that makes the drum to disc conversion kit for AMC20 went under. I ordered what I thought was among the last of their stock back in July and am being told that they cannot fulfill the order.

Has anyone pieced out the disc conversion a-la-cart? Not sure what parts I need. What kind of brackets will fit etc...

Here ya go:

https://www.tsmmfg.net/jeep-cj5-7-8-complete-rear-disc-brake-kit-2590.html

I bought my rear disc brake kit from these guys. I have a Dana 44, but it's basically the same kit except the bracket is a little different...same calipers, rotors, and pads.

They're great folks to work with and will be able to answer any questions you have...even during install.

The only snag I ran into was getting the parking brake set up correctly. You can use your stock cables, but you'll have to cut the return spring off of each end so everything fits properly. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel. Not difficult...just a PITA.

Also, the rotors are cast specifically for this kit...I asked them where I can find replacement rotors, and that's what they told me. They have them cast somewhere and they drill holes for lugs. If you order from them, make sure you tell them what diameter lug studs you have. My first set weren't big enough, so they sent me the correct ones no charge.

Since I installed them last spring, I haven't had an issue.

Here ya go:

https://www.tsmmfg.net/jeep-cj5-7-8-complete-rear-disc-brake-kit-2590.html

I bought my rear disc brake kit from these guys. I have a Dana 44, but it's basically the same kit except the bracket is a little different...same calipers, rotors, and pads.

They're great folks to work with and will be able to answer any questions you have...even during install.

The only snag I ran into was getting the parking brake set up correctly. You can use your stock cables, but you'll have to cut the return spring off of each end so everything fits properly. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel. Not difficult...just a PITA.

Also, the rotors are cast specifically for this kit...I asked them where I can find replacement rotors, and that's what they told me. They have them cast somewhere and they drill holes for lugs. If you order from them, make sure you tell them what diameter lug studs you have. My first set weren't big enough, so they sent me the correct ones no charge.

Since I installed them last spring, I haven't had an issue.

This is awesome! Thanks so much. Not sure how you found them, I’ve been looking all over for an alternative manufacturer for this kit.

Not sure how you found them

There's a company near St. Louis where I'm from that rebuilds Jeepsters (Just Jeepsters). I had some axle questions for them and asked where I could get a read brake kit for my Dana 44 that wasn't SSBC. They use TSM exclusively for their kits and rebuilds, so they told me to give them a shout.

They're a small business and their customer service is top notch. Just need to stock up on their rotors if they ever go out of business! The calipers are from an 80 El Dorado and a few other vehicles, so everything else is easy to find.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom