Amc 304

Amc 304

Akempker

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Cj7 all stock...currently have the 304 pulled out and I'm the process of getting a 360 put in.
I finally got my AMC 304 on the engine stand. Been doing a lot of research and have seen mixed emotions on the AMC 304 vs 360. I had a brief idea of "throwing" a SBC 350 in it, but then decided to keep it in the jeep family. Just wondering what y'all's (I am from Texas, and y'all is a word...before you judge) opinion is, before I go knuckle deep into this AMC 304 rebuild.

From what I have gathered it will be about the same cost for a AMC 304 vs 360, but the 360 will give me a little more horse power. Then I have to track down a 360 in my area, and I haven't been able to find a decent one (besides going to the box stores and buying a crate motor).

Thanks in advance for y'all's input, and if there is a thread already out there for this, please add it as I couldn't find anything when I did a search.

Andrew

I would take it all apart, keeping parts in order, and take it to a machine shop for vatting and inspection. See what you have or don't have and then make the decision. If you can find a used engine, you will still have to do this eventually.

Save the time and headache and do it now. Then, build as you wish making changes to engine componets to get the performance you desire.

You will then know what you have and know that it is done the way you want it!:chug:

There were a lot more AMC 360s produced than AMC 304s; as such the rebuild kits for the 360 are cheaper than the AMC 304 . (The more kits they sold the less they cost.) If you can’t find a good used one to swap in, (meaning one that still has proper cylinder compression and oil pressure, most likely having been rebuilt prior to the vehicle being scrapped), then what you do depends upon your pleasure; rebuild the AMC 304 or pick up a 360 as a core.

To 360 or not to 360 that is the question....depends on how you are going to use this Jeep. Decent power and "ooh aah" appeal from the exhaust note can be had from either the 360 or AMC 304 ...are you going to use this for a "street" Jeep or hitting the trails? Others have been correct on the Upgrade parts for the 360, but there are enough out there for the AMC 304 to make it worth your while. I have a AMC 304 in my '85 and plan on mild mods just to keep it reliable. My old '84 I had years ago had a 360 and that was tons of fun too! Depends on what you want to make and whats right for you. The AMC 304 will flow great even with stock exhaust manifolds and Edelbrock makes a good aluminum manifold as well as 4 bbl carbs. Cams are VERY plentiful for whatever your goals are as well... I say run what you have! Just my $.02

The first thing you should do is fill out your profile so we know what you are working with.:D

If you have a manual Transmission the flywheel for the 360 becomes a problem. There were a lot more 360 s built but most of them had automatics and the AMC 304 flywheel won't swap to the 360.:cool:

Other than that it would be as easy as any swap could be.

Personally I would vote for the motor the VIN called for but I am funny that way.:bounce:

Thanks for the help guys, sorry my profile isn't up to date. I wasnt sure what exactly I had in my Jeep when I bought it. So far I have learned its pretty much stock across the board, the T-150 tranny and a Dana 300 Transfer Case ...I am still trying to figure out hat the axels are.

The first thing you should do is fill out your profile so we know what you are working with.:D

If you have a manual Transmission the flywheel for the 360 becomes a problem. There were a lot more 360 s built but most of them had automatics and the AMC 304 flywheel won't swap to the 360.:cool:

Other than that it would be as easy as any swap could be.

Personally I would vote for the motor the VIN called for but I am funny that way.:bounce:

Brand new AMC 360 flywheels can be had on eBay for as little as $AMC 150 . I too believe in keeping your Jeep, Jeep but if it came in a Jeep and can be bolted in using OEM parts with no cutting it’s OK, sort of a resto mod but I always keep the original parts so they can be put back in if wanted.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom