Build Thread And it starts.....

Build Thread And it starts.....

JimyB

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
94 YJ bare bones stock.
Newest Addition 86 CJ7
Well I've started to get to work on my 86 CJ7 . She had the Checker plate Dash with a huge a huge mess of wiring under it. The only thing cut out in the dash was the speedo that didn't work, plus a few toggles (one for the taillights and one for the headlights). None of the gauges had been installed in the dash and the wiring for them had just been strapped up under the dash. Some were bare, some going nowhere. I wanted the original dash so i put off the project till I could acquire one.

WithoutDash1.jpg
OldDash3.png
OldDash3.jpg
UnderdashWiring1.png

I got a new dash off of ebay and started the project. I took my old dash off and got a look at what was ahead for me.

UnderdashWiring2.jpg

I was surprised to see the bulbs still attached and some of the indicator lights along with the windshield wiper switch, headlamp switch and heater controls all still attached and zap strapped up and out of sight.
Well I hung the new dash up with close hangers(a fellow CJer gave me the idea) to make it easier to wire up. I bought a used under dash harness of of e-bay for $26 and am waiting for it to arrive. I went with the used harness because of the price I got it for. I was thinking of going Centech but hope I can save myself a few bucks here.

IMG_20111031_154049.jpg
IMG_20111031_154013.png

Did I say I loath wiring......I'll let you all know how I fair when I start the wiring. I'm sure there will be lots of cursing.

i dread wiring so much! after working on my old CJ5 so much (that i got rid of) i really dont have the desire to finish my dash in my CJ7 . I have voltage, spedo, and oil pressure.. thats it haha. I have done one of those painless harnesses so its all there and just needs to be hooked up but i dont have any desire or motivation what so ever. I also have KC lights ect that arnt hooked up :laugh:

i wish you the best of luck

post up some more pics of the jeep :chug:

I do too! One of the best things I ever bought is a Power Probe. I use it much more often them my meter. -->> Power Probe

That looks like a handy tool! I'm an electrician by trade and always looking for new meters. Auto wiring is totally different than what I normally do, but I enjoy it as well. Well, most of the time...:D

mag cj and hog yal are more than welcome to come over hahaha

So I've been able to get a few things to help the project get started again. I bought a used dash wiring harness for $26. I went this way because I didn't want to spend the money on a painless or Centech at this time. I just don't have the money with Christmas coming on.
View attachment 7083

I decided to only disconnect the old one as I connected the new one so as to leave little room for mistakes. I removed the dash to make more room and easier visibility of what I was going to do.
View attachment 7084

I then started with the Harness Plug on the firewall.
View attachment 7085

There was alot of old dirt on the Plug so I took the air hose and blew it out (Arrow shows it). There is a bolt in the middle of the plug that holds the plug together to the matching plug on the other side of the firewall. After undoing this it pulled apart with no problem. Once I had the plugs apart I found more dirt inside the plug, so I once again brought out the air and blew it all out.
View attachment 7086
View attachment 7087

I then disconnected the harness fuse block from inside the firewall along with the plugs for the rear lighting harness and the dimmer switch
View attachment 7088Where does the green wire go you ask? Well it apparently joins the rear light harness for some reason.....That will be followed after this is completed.

and pulled the old harness fuse block out of the way.
View attachment 7089

I then installed the replacement harness fuse block and plugs that I had disconnected off the old harness.
View attachment 7090

I then needed to drop the steering column to be able to remove the old harness then install the new one as it went over to the passenger side of the jeep. Four bolts held up the column.

View attachment 7091
View attachment 7092

Last edited:
Once the column was undone and hanging I could access the old harness and remove it. I then followed installed the replacement harness along the path that the old harness used.
View attachment 7095
There were two plugs (one white one black)above the steering column that I needed to plug the replacement harness into
View attachment 7097
as well as the one at the bottom of the steering column.
View attachment 7096
Once I had these attached I reconnected the steering column and promptly stabbed my palm with a small screwdriver. I decided this would be a good time to stop for the evening as I was hopping around my shop cursing as i danced a jig. I now have barely any ability to bend my pinkie knuckle as it was this part of my palm I stabbed quite deeply. Will continue this next week....

Last edited:
Once I had these attached I reconnected the steering column and promptly stabbed my palm with a small screwdriver. I decided this would be a good time to stop for the evening as I was hopping around my shop cursing as i danced a jig. I now have barely any ability to bend my pinkie knuckle as it was this part of my palm I stabbed quite deeply. Will continue this next week....

your not alone :chug:

Ah yes, I know this dance well... and it's not Limited to stabbing your hand with a screwdriver...:D

I thought it was a requirment that every day I work on my jeep that I was to bleed?

My wife's been an E.R. Nurse for at least 30 years and unless I have a bone sticking out at a 90 degree angle or blood is pumping out all over the floor there just is not any sympathy in my house.
Aside from that I've got most of the feeling back in my hand and I can bend my pinkie again. Looks like I'll be able to get back at it on my next days off. Got to work and found out I had to requalify my firearms certification. AR15 will be o.k. but I think my hand is going to hurt working with the 9mm and the 12 guage. LOL.

My wife's been an E.R. Nurse for at least 30 years and unless I have a bone sticking out at a 90 degree angle or blood is pumping out all over the floor there just is not any sympathy in my house.

:laugh: i def know a few of those kind of people
"oh its not bad i see worse than that every day"

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom