arb question

arb question

cj7pimp

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 cj7 all stock. has the inline 6 with a five speed tranny.
i recently got an AMC20 axle with an arb locker in it. the guy i bought it from said he put air to it and that it engages. my first question is there are four round holes around the housing of the arb with pins all the way up to the top. one of the holes is a little wallowed out and has an opening and the pin is all the way down. does this mean that the pin is broken?? are all four holes around the outer edge supposed to be solid?? just trying to figue out if one of the pins is broken and if it can be fixed.

You would be best off by contacting ARB in Seattle. Their customer service is excellent.
866-293-9078

Those hold the spider gears.
arb_amc20.jpg

They should all be flush.
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/lockers-limited-slip-differentials-12434/#post99991

EDIT: After looking at your picture again it looks like it's only slightly recessed. That's ok.
10481d1342471207-arb-question-arb.jpg

Last edited:
the pin is probably a quarter inch down from the top. i want to take all the guts out but not quite sure how to get the one piece axles out. are they held in by c-clips?? do i need to take out all the 12 point bolts that hold the locker together?? just trying to get this thing apart to see if the pin for the spider gears is broken. since the hole is wallowed out i am assuming that oe of the pins had broken before at some point in time.

not quite sure how to get the one piece axles out. are they held in by c-clips??

AMC20 I assume. Just take the 4 bolts & nuts out that go through the backing plates and the flange on the axle housing, they will pull right out than.
Two of the bolts are out in this pic.

do i need to take out all the 12 point bolts that hold the locker together??
I have never taken an ARB locker apart.
diagram2.gif

If the holes are wallowed out that's not good. One spider gear pin goes all the way through the locker. Then there are 2 smaller pins for the other spider gears.
You might just want to listen to Torxhead and give ARB a call.
You would be best off by contacting ARB in Seattle. Their customer service is excellent.
866-293-9078

yeah i am definitely going to give them a call. only the one hole is wallowed out a little and with the pin how it is supposed to be all the way up to the top the spider gears are not going to go anywhere. i am just curious if there are any certain things to watch out for while taking it apart and putting it back together if i do. like i said the guy i got it from said he had aired it up and engages. everything spings fine when i turn the yoke and all.

i called and talked to mitch at arb tech support yesterday. he told me that the arb locker for the AMC20 axle has 4 smaller pins holding in the spider gears instead of one longer cross shaft and two smaller pins. i asked him if there was really anything special i needed to know when tearing it apart and he said no. i am going to tear it down here soon and look at that pin. he also said that parts were still available for that if anything is broken.

:popcorn:

Let us know how it goes! :chug:

~ JR

He is right. There are actually two different style ARB lockers that will fit the model 20 rear end. I have the single pin style which they stopped making. They built the four pin model for a little more strength to handle the weight and power of the Hummer H1. The H1 center section was actually a model 20 unit internally. Pretty cool. That gives you an idea on just how strong the model 20 dif really is.

The H1 center section was actually a model 20 unit internally. Pretty cool. That gives you an idea on just how strong the model 20 dif really is.
Wow
I never knew that. The model 20 has a 8 7/8 inch ring gear so that has never been a weak link. Then when you put that diff in a H1 it is even stronger yet. that's because the H1 has 1.5 ratio gears in the hub. That means the wheels can get 1.5 more times torque than the diff. Portal axles also have gearing in the hubs. The differential spins at a higher speed but lower torque than the wheels.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom