AUSSIE CJ7 Transfer Questions

AUSSIE CJ7 Transfer Questions

Tassiecj7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ7 in bits now, no motor, g'box, diffs and PAINT. but I do have BEER
Hey guy's after a bit of advise here
I'm going to start a build on my CJ7 soon, so I'm currently chasing parts etc...
What a current plan is,
5L (Aussie) hooked to a GM Turbo 400 (got them)
Dana 18. will need to adapt.. Novak ?
Pair of Dana 44 's with 3.73's out of a fullsize (got them)

sound O.K ?
I should only have to narrow the diffs down to what width ? same as the 30 and 20 that where in it ?

also my way of thinking that the d18 is right hand side drop same as the diffs,
will it be strong enough, this will be a DD once finished and light off road :chug:

sounds like a good plan. you should try to find a Dana 300 , the dana 18 has an offset rear drive and unless you use a offset Dana 44 rear, your driveline won't be straight. besides the Dana 300 is a bigger stronger case, and you can buy 4:1 gear sets for it. yeah novak will have all of the adapters you need, or advance adapters.

what size tires do you plan on running? if you plan on 35s or under i'd look into upgrading the stock axles, especially if it is going to be mainly street driven.

sounds like a good plan. you should try to find a Dana 300 , the dana 18 has an offset rear drive and unless you use a offset Dana 44 rear, your driveline won't be straight. besides the Dana 300 is a bigger stronger case, and you can buy 4:1 gear sets for it. yeah novak will have all of the adapters you need, or advance adapters.

what size tires do you plan on running? if you plan on 35s or under i'd look into upgrading the stock axles, especially if it is going to be mainly street driven.

yea, my diffs are out of a quady FSJ so there offset to the righthand side,

tyres will probably be 33's

I have a TJ to go offroad so thats why this will be our DD

Thanks for the reply :)

with 33s man i'd leave the axles alone, maybe just put a 1pc kit in the rear. sure would save yourself alot of work and money. and they'll hold up plenty good. jmho

what the heck is a 5L?

Yea I'd leave the stock diffs if they were any good :mad: and 1 piece axles, but it's stolen and recovered car...

5L = 5000cc = 308 C I, it's Australian made V8 by GMH, mine will make about 380 hp, so I will need to be gentle to the 18 if that's the way I end up going
:chug::chug::chug::chug:

Thanks for the reply

ah ok. in that case i would have the axles cut down, unless you want to outboard the springs.

Holden has some pretty cool lookin vehicles, i like the look of the aus. colorado better than ours. some don't know it but the later model GTO is an Australian imported design, with a 6.0 lliter dropped in i can't remember what they called it over there, i read it in a mag a long time ago.

Yeah, the late GTO and the Pontiac G8 RWD 4 door is also a holden. I think they still sell a RWD caprice in the middle east that is also a holden, with a 6.2L V8 RWD, with 400+hp, IIRC ?

So what family does the 308 belong too ? Is that strictly a Australian motor, or does it have family outside of Oz ?

5.0 liter gm motor is 305 cubic in. in north america. i don't know of any 308 in any north american gm car/truck. if someone has a 09' 10' pontiac g8, or gto you better hold on to em, as the last performance pontiacs they'll be worth some money in years to come. they'll be like all of the current "old guys" that had some rare muscle car back in the 60's or 70's, and wish they hadn't sold em, because they are worth an <-BAD WORD-> load of money today.

edit: from what google says the 308 is a strictly holden built motor and completely different from north american gm v8s

5.0 liter gm motor is 305 cubic in. in north america. i don't know of any 308 in any north american gm car/truck. if someone has a 09' 10' pontiac g8, or gto you better hold on to em, as the last performance pontiacs they'll be worth some money in years to come. they'll be like all of the current "old guys" that had some rare muscle car back in the 60's or 70's, and wish they hadn't sold em, because they are worth an <-BAD WORD-> load of money today.

edit: from what google says the 308 is a strictly holden built motor and completely different from north american gm v8s

Interesting, Ive got plans to by a late model GTO, but Im in the middle of a house re-construction, and it wont happen any time soon. The G8 doesnt do anything for me..

Yeah, the late GTO and the Pontiac G8 RWD 4 door is also a holden. I think they still sell a RWD caprice in the middle east that is also a holden, with a 6.2L V8 RWD, with 400+hp, IIRC ?

So what family does the 308 belong too ? Is that strictly a Australian motor, or does it have family outside of Oz ?

yes, they do market our holden to the middle east, as well as you guy's I think for cop cars?
our GM (holden) motor was developed back in the 1960's it originally came out as a 253ci (AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ) in a monaro, it was the smallest motor back then as we also had the 307 and 327, a year or 2 later saw the 397 and 327 go and we got the 350 as the big boy ;) but the 253 grew to 308 (5.0L).... and the 350 was last seen in a production car here in the early 70's.... that is until we got the L.S 1 ! please don't think that my dribble is correct... I have killed to many brain sells to remember it all ;)

One more thing WTF is IIRC ?

Correct it even had it's own bell housing bolt pattern.. which equals we didn't get the turbo 350&400's until we changed bolt patterns... :D:D:D:D

Interesting, Ive got plans to by a late model GTO, but Im in the middle of a house re-construction, and it wont happen any time soon. The G8 doesnt do anything for me..

me too..... but no idea what a G8 is though:confused::confused::confused:

me too..... but no idea what a G8 is though:confused::confused::confused:

Pontiac G8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The G8 is based on the GM Zeta platform, created by Holden for the VE Commodore in the Australian market. The G8 differs from the Commodore mainly in frontal styling and interior details. At the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, GM chairman Bob Lutz confirmed that GM intended to import Holden Commodores into North America as Pontiac G8s.[5] The news was not planned to be officially announced until the Chicago Auto Show in February.

Sorry, its common on forums, "If I recall correctly"

you sure it's not Indiana International Race Cars ;););););)

Pontiac G8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The G8 is based on the GM Zeta platform, created by Holden for the VE Commodore in the Australian market. The G8 differs from the Commodore mainly in frontal styling and interior details. At the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, GM chairman Bob Lutz confirmed that GM intended to import Holden Commodores into North America as Pontiac G8s.[5] The news was not planned to be officially announced until the Chicago Auto Show in February.

I see, they also sold them here too, just a few I think still badged holden but had "GTO" badging maybe I don't know really, I am not a fan if new cars at all

Thanks for the link :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom