auto tranny swap

auto tranny swap

penster1

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 cj5
258 cu 4 speed
My son has a 84 CJ7 with a 5 speed manual tranny in it. We would like to swap in an original cj auto. Anyone done this and what needs to be changed to make it work. Thanks.

AMC had a pretty rare auto option. Not QuadraTrac system.
The AMC auto's were GM Turbo 400 GM tranys with AMC bell housing.
They are pretty rare to find.
Use Novak and swap in a GM auto. You will be happier in the end.

AMC had a pretty rare auto option. Not QuadraTrac system.
The AMC auto's were GM Turbo 400 GM tranys with AMC bell housing.
They are pretty rare to find.
Use Novak and swap in a GM auto. You will be happier in the end.

Thats wierd.. Ive had 3 with autos.
They came stock with 999 automatics behind the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . You didn't really put out enough info to give you any really good ideas. What motor do you have? Another option to try with out crazy adapters is a 727. you will need the flex plate from a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with a 999 plus an aftermarket floor shifter and kick down cable either way you go. Also you need at least 4" of lift to run the 727. your Dana 300 will bolt right to either a 999 or a 727, with the 727 you run into drive shaft clearence issues on the Transmission pan. The other problem you will have with a auto in a CJ5 is the length of your rear drive shaft. a auto in no5mally a good bit longer then a manual so it shortens the rear and lengthens the front. if you have a lift the rear gets to be at some crazy angles.

A 5 spd? you know which one? thats the oddity. Cant you just teach him to drive a stick?

A 5 spd? you know which one? thats the oddity.
The T-5 was the only 5 speed to go into a CJ. It's a light duty Transmission and you'd do good to get rid of it. http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/manual-cj-transmissions-12112/index2.html#post97829
Get a TF999 they came in CJs from the '80s. If you find one from a CJ it would be a direct swap. Just have to rig up the shift. EDIT: Oh yea, drive shaft lengths would also have to be modified.
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/automatic-cj-transmissions-12123/#post97174

Like Busa said the TF999 was what wouldve come in your sons CJ7 from the factory as long as it has the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . The 4 cyl. used the TF904 .

If your Transmission doesnt come with them you will also need the coolant lines that run from the radiator to the Transmission . Check your radiator to make sure it has provisions for the 2 coolant lines. The B&M Megashifter is the easy way to solve shifting your automatic. If you want the larger brake pedal autos had you will need to grab that as well.

The T-5 was the only 5 speed to go into a CJ. It's a light duty Transmission and you'd do good to get rid of it. http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/manual-cj-transmissions-12112/index2.html#post97829
Get a TF999 they came in CJs from the '80s. If you find one from a CJ it would be a direct swap. Just have to rig up the shift. EDIT: Oh yea, drive shaft lengths would also have to be modified.
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/automatic-cj-transmissions-12123/#post97174

As far as I know the only time the GM Turbo 400 was used in the CJ was with the QuadraTrac and it would require an adapter to fit the Dana 300 x-fer. The easiest option is to find a torque-flight that came with the round NP Transfer Case pattern..either a TF999 from a CJ/YJ or even a TF727 from a '80-up FSJ. Another option is an AW4 from an XJ. It is a touch longer but gives you Overdrive and has been successfully transplanted into CJ's. It has a stand-alone control module & is easy to wire. With a $50 spacer you can bolt the AW4 to your Dana 300 versus a $500 adapter from novak or A-A. Some FSJ's and many Commandos came with a GM Turbo 400 /Dana 20 combo that bolts to a AMC block but they are getting harder to find.

You can run a 727 full size jeep I-6 motor and flexplate, if you get a column shift from a 85-91 cherokee, and the A/T linkage. Or a cable shift in it's place. I prefer a column shift. 727 is a tight fit, and if not an Overdrive , reguires no different t-case or driveshafts. but hooks in the same as the 999.

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping my daughter in law will learn to drive a manual it will be alot easier than swapping trannys.

Thats the best bet. :D
Thanks everyone. I'm hoping my daughter in law will learn to drive a manual it will be alot easier than swapping trannys.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom