Auzzie Lockers?

Personally, I have never installed them yet.
I have talked to a few guys with them and they like them.
I do have a bit of experience with Australian built 4x4 products though and most of them are rock solid. It seems the two manufacturers I I have owned, TMax and ARB are two very well built product lines because the Aussies have such a huge outback they have a huge testing area, and people there do not deal well with 1/2 baked products. Is Auzzie lockers actually an Australian product?

This was the only address on the site. I'm interested but not sure if I want to be the guinea pig on this one.

Torq-Masters Technology, Inc.
3177 Latta Road
Rochester, NY 14612

"The SUV Jeep CJ5 Aussie Locker is the most advanced "traction added" Automatic Precision Locker inthe world today. Specifically designed for the (1976 - 1983) series for Jeep off-highway enthusiasts and wheelers the Aussie Locker has been proven world wide from the Outback of Australia to Moab, Utah.
Every conceivable environment has been thrown at the locker by development engineers and customers and the Aussie Locker gets them where they want to go, every time. The Aussie Locker is the result of attention to detail not previously seen in the industry. Special steel alloys for maximum durability and long life, proprietary manufacturing processes, unique heat treatment procedures and 100% quality audits with electronic microscopes result in every Jeep CJ5 locker providing unmatched reliability and performance.
No air lines to leak, break or compressors to fail, no cables to fray, no electric wires to break, the Aussie Locker gets you where you want to go, with maximum traction performance. You get 100% traction performance rather than 40-60% with a posi or LSD. And with the unique construction and manufacturing process the Aussie Locker delivers this 100% traction year after year after year. No degradation over time like some other products out there. And the Aussie Locker can be installed by the weekend mechanic. If you can install a set of brakes you can install your Aussie Locker without any specials tools or training. The No-Nonsense Two Year Limited Warranty has no restrictions on tire size or horsepower. The Aussie Locker is designed to hold up whatever you throw at them, time after time."

I've never owned one but, people on other forums seem to like them.
Just remember, like any other lunch box locker it uses you stock carrier
which is usually the weak link. Thats why I like lockers like the detroit better.

I find the Detroit hard to beat. I have used them in a bunch of jeeps, including 2 of the ones I have today.
A full carrier locker is always better
but we are discussing Auzzie lockers here, not what is the best locker,
Now it has been mentioned that the Auzzie locker is a lunch box locker, what that means is it is a locker that does not replace the full carrier of the Diff, just a part of it, leaving the strength of the original diff to be in question. Depending on your wheeling style, this can be good as it saves money, or a potential problem as you can out stress the carrier and break it. That means the locker is still good, but the diff carrier is toast and you need a new one. If you think this will be a problem, look into full carrier lockers.

Last edited:
I had an Aussie in the front and a Detroit in the rear of my TJ. Both of them worked great, but the Detroit was a lot harsher, I am not sure if that was because it was in the rear axle. I had the Aussie in the front for a few months before I added the rear locker. Just by having the front locked it made a HUGE difference on the trails. If I did not live in Chicago, I would without a doubt purchase another Aussie for my front axle. I even have videos of going through stuff and you can hear people in the back ground, "saying I use I had a locker...."

If you do not mind having your front locked all the time I would strongly suggest the Aussie. I haven't looked at them for a few years but I remember them being one of the cheapest solutions for a locker. I think I paid $249 shipped from northridge4x4.

Had one in my CJ5 . Like stated above I had one in the front and I loved it. If you can stand a full time locked front axle whenever your in 4wd cant beat the price. The only real drawback is snow and I lost some turning radius. A Detroit is gonna be stronger due to it replacing the stock carrier but the Aussie is a nice bang for your buck lunchbox locker.

The only real drawback is snow

I see your from Michigan.
IMO If you drive the jeep on the road in the winter a full time locker might not be the way to go.

Yeah if your driving it in the snow looks like your in the same boat as me. Saving up for a selectable locker like the Ox.
Thanks to all for the input. Think I'll pass on the Auzzies and go with tried and true.

Yeah if your driving it in the snow looks like your in the same boat as me. Saving up for a selectable locker like the Ox.

X2, I'm in the process of doing that right now. :eek:

I love my detroits, but never drive in snow. Crowning is not fun.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom