Best Dana 30 rebuild kit.

Best Dana 30 rebuild kit.

jakeh937

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 Cj5, 258 with Howell Fuel injection kit, T18 with dana 20 Tcase, dana 30 front with Detroit locker, AMC 20 rear with LSD and one piece shafts, Warn 8k winch, 1" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 33 tires
Hey guys I'm looking to eventually rebuild my axles. Front Dana 30 and rear Dana 44. Looking for the best master rebuild kit that comes with bearings, seals, etc. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I'm not sure that you can actually get a rebuild "kit" for your axles. I got all the parts separately. I'm not so sure you want to replace your bearings, that is if they aren't in bad condition. The bearings are an integral part in the proper fit of the differential carrier. All bearings aren't the same width. If you are a brave man, during your rebuild, look in the axle tubes. They might be clean or they might be covered in mud and or rust that needs to be cleaned out. I got a set of wire brushes, found one that was VERY tight in the tubes, welded it on a length of round stock and used a drill motor to turn it in the tubes. Like a chimney sweep. My Dana 30 tubes were fairly clean, the Dana 44 tube was a mess, bunches of oily rust. But the Dana 44 axle was a replacement from a pile of old axles, in some unimportant ways it was very rusty.

That's interesting. So if the bearings are in decent shape, keep them? Is this all the bearings or just the differential carrier bearings? Good idea on the wire wheel! What exactly did you get for your axle rebuilds? I appreciate your help hedgehog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with this axle to justify a full rebuild?
Stay with Dana Spicer parts as much as possible.
Lots of cheap China :dung: out there that ain't worth a :dung:
LG

What's wrong with this axle to justify a full rebuild?
Stay with Dana Spicer parts as much as possible.
Lots of cheap China :dung: out there that ain't worth a :dung:
LG

I don't think much. Rebuilding a jeep and figured while its apart to go through it so hopefully it's done for the next upteen years haha.

Make sure you "need" to do this, and don't just "want" to do this...:confused: If you don't have a problem, change the fluid, new gasket, make sure it's vented and let sleeping dogs lie. :cool:

The kits you're looking for are usually labeled as install kits. As Hedge said, you go changing bearings, etc. and you'll be measuring lash, installing crush sleeves, measuring preload, etc. It's a big job.

Make sure you "need" to do this, and don't just "want" to do this...:confused: If you don't have a problem, change the fluid, new gasket, make sure it's vented and let sleeping dogs lie. :cool:

The kits you're looking for are usually labeled as install kits. As Hedge said, you go changing bearings, etc. and you'll be measuring lash, installing crush sleeves, measuring preload, etc. It's a big job.

You know I never really thought of that. What's the best way to see if it's good? Turn the yoke and check gears when I pull cover for fluid?

Does this axle leak any oil?
If no leaks-Don't fix what ain't broke-You could well end up open'n up a can of nasty worms.
LG

If you don't have abnormal noise, or heat or something wrong functionally, then you're probably doing just fine.

When you pull the cover, make sure you drain the fluid and go through it to find any material. Obviously a fair amount of metal is not good, but very little to none is fine. Little meaning, like trace amount... New gasket, seal it up make sure vent is hooked up and clear and you're done.

Thank of all the differentials on the road that have NEVER been opened up. Never, as in - EVER. There's a lot of them...

If you don't have abnormal noise, or heat or something wrong functionally, then you're probably doing just fine.

When you pull the cover, make sure you drain the fluid and go through it to find any material. Obviously a fair amount of metal is not good, but very little to none is fine. Little meaning, like trace amount... New gasket, seal it up make sure vent is hooked up and clear and you're done.

Thank of all the differentials on the road that have NEVER been opened up. Never, as in - EVER. There's a lot of them...

Good point. The axle I'll be using is off a parts one so I'm not sure if it was quiet or anything. Now my question is I have another Dana 30 that has the same gearing as my 44. 3.73. I'm assuming the swap from the old axle into the one I'm using is straight forward with the carrier?

Does this axle leak any oil?
If no leaks-Don't fix what ain't broke-You could well end up open'n up a can of nasty worms.
LG

No I think it's leak proof. It came on a parts rig so I haven't even checked if it's got oil. I'm sure it does though

So you're taking a new to you 30 and putting different gears in and installing on your Jeep?

So you're taking a new to you 30 and putting different gears in and installing on your Jeep?

Pretty much. The axles 30/40 with the 3.73 came off a 74. The parts jeep has the 30 with disc but different gearing

Why not keep you existing setup?

Jakeh, you cannot just take parts from one differential and arbitrary swap into another diff. without doing a complete new setup.
This requires that you reshim the carrier, the pinion, check and set back lash as well as pinion depth.
You need marking compound, a press, a dial indicator, and an inch pound and foot pound torque wrench.

Jakeh, you cannot just take parts from one different setup and arbitrary swap into another different without doing a complete new setup.

This requires that you reshim the carrier, the pinion, check and set back lash as well as pinion depth.

You need marking compound, a press, a dial indicator, and an inch pound and foot pound torque wrench.

Exactly. That's where I'm now confused as to what's needing done. I'd rather swap brake setups than gears.

Jakeh, you cannot just take parts from one differential and arbitrary swap into another diff. without doing a complete new setup.

I have access to that stuff if need be. I talked to a buddy at work and he had told me if I take the carrier and yoke from one I can swap into another housing and it would be fine as long as ring and pinion stay as a matched set. I'm glad I'm getting opinions on this thanks guys!

Forgot to mention that used gears that are swapped almost always whine like crazy. :(

I have access to that stuff if need be. I talked to a buddy at work and he had told me if I take the carrier and yoke from one I can swap into another housing and it would be fine as long as ring and pinion stay as a matched set. I'm glad I'm getting opinions on this thanks guys!

As long as your comfortable with doing all that it isn't hard, just time consuming.

As long as your comfortable with doing all that it isn't hard, just time consuming.

Iv never done one before so I'm listening wth ears open from you experts! I had in mind to do a nice build for a hunting/trail rig. Nothing to crazy. So I have a set of axles, drum, that are Dana 30 and 44 with the 3.73. I have another set that are from a 79 that are disc 30 and AMC20 rear. Those are a different gear ratio. What's the best/most reliable/easiest to use and swap?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks