Best Dana 30 rebuild kit.

Best Dana 30 rebuild kit.
IMO. Take the disks of the 79 and put on the 74.

IMO. Take the disks of the 79 and put on the 74.

Perfect. That's the knuckles out then basically correct? Will the 74 axles directly bolt up to a 79 frame? I greatly appreciate the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect. That's the knuckles out then basically correct? Will the 74 axles directly bolt up to a 79 frame? I greatly appreciate the help

I'm really confused here, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
I thought you were tryin to get disks on the 74 in your profile.
Please explain your intent.

I'm really confused here, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

I thought you were tryin to get disks on the 74 in your profile.

Please explain your intent.

That's what I am going for. I was just curious if they do being I know frames for those years are different. Sorry for the confusion.

Iv never done one before so I'm listening wth ears open from you experts! I had in mind to do a nice build for a hunting/trail rig. Nothing to crazy. So I have a set of axles, drum, that are Dana 30 and 44 with the 3.73. I have another set that are from a 79 that are disc 30 and AMC20 rear. Those are a different gear ratio. What's the best/most reliable/easiest to use and swap?

Have you thought about doing the brake swap from the disc Dana 30 to your Drum Dana 30 and leave the gears alone? From what I remember you need everything from the knuckles out on the disc Dana 30 including the stub shaft from your axle shaft (outer half of axle shaft) and you will need to get a disc/drum Maser cylinder and brake hoses as well.

I personally enjoy building axles and am building a Dana 44 front Dodge 9.25 rear with Detroit True Tracs and 3.91 gears. I recommend getting nothing but Timken bearings which are the OEM bearings that your axles came with.

this link has alot of the parts you are looking for:
https://www.ringpinion.com/DiffWizard.aspx

This is the kit I would get if I were rebuilding a Dana 30, it has timken bearings all your shims, seals, crush sleeves bearings and marking compound :chug:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-14017

Have you thought about doing the brake swap from the disc Dana 30 to your Drum Dana 30 and leave the gears alone? From what I remember you need everything from the knuckles out on the disc Dana 30 including the stub shaft from your axle shaft (outer half of axle shaft) and you will need to get a disc/drum Maser cylinder and brake hoses as well.

I personally enjoy building axles and am building a Dana 44 front Dodge 9.25 rear with Detroit True Tracs and 3.91 gears. I recommend getting nothing but Timken bearings which are the OEM bearings that your axles came with.

this link has alot of the parts you are looking for:

https://www.ringpinion.com/DiffWizard.aspx

This is the kit I would get if I were rebuilding a Dana 30, it has timken bearings all your shims, seals, crush sleeves bearings and marking compound :chug:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-14017

I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm new to the jeep thing so I'm glad I'm asking and getting the help. Thank you for those links, if I need to go that route, I now have the parts to do so!

I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm new to the jeep thing so I'm glad I'm asking and getting the help. Thank you for those links, if I need to go that route, I now have the parts to do so!

ask away we have plenty of varied experiences and opinions and are happy to share them. We are also happy to help you spend your money as long as we get to see pictures :chug:

ask away we have plenty of varied experiences and opinions and are happy to share them. We are also happy to help you spend your money as long as we get to see pictures :chug:

Thank you! When it gets to the point of pics, I'll be sure to share

Swap to disc from drums will mean a different master cyl and proportion valve(does your '74 even have a 'valve now?). :confused:

I have access to that stuff if need be. I talked to a buddy at work and he had told me if I take the carrier and yoke from one I can swap into another housing and it would be fine as long as ring and pinion stay as a matched set. I'm glad I'm getting opinions on this thanks guys!

Find another buddy who knows what the :censored: he's talking about. :rolleyes:
Do not bet one penny on a good tooth pattern doing this. ;)
You are also going to need to check backlash and pinion and carrier preload torque. If you have never set up a R&P. Have a pro do it, while taking notes and pictures.
I say this, with over 50 years of R&P work behind me.
Respectfully,
LG

Swap to disc from drums will mean a different master cyl and proportion valve(does your '74 even have a 'valve now?). :confused:

I was just going to use all that from the 79 would that work?

I was just going to use all that from the 79 would that work?

It could-Worth trying.
LG

Make sure you continue to use DOT 3 brake fluid and none of the newer syn stuff. DOT 3 was spec'd for our Jeeps.
LG

Make sure you continue to use DOT 3 brake fluid and none of the newer syn stuff. DOT 3 was spec'd for our Jeeps.

LG

That's good to know. Thank you for all your help! It's nice to know I have a place like this for help with things

You'll be get'n a bill...............:laugh: :poke:
LG

LG

That's good to know. Thank you for all your help! It's nice to know I have a place like this for help with things

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom