Best lockout hubs?

Best lockout hubs?

GatorBate

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ5 Renegade, 304,TBI, PaceSetter Headers, T-177, D-300-4:1, AMC-20, D-30,(OX Lockers W/Electric Shifters),3.54, XRC8 winch. OME 2" lift
I guess I'm in the market for new lockout hubs. No one around here carries a selection of 5 bolt hubs that I can look at and compare. Looking at them on the web you can't tell if they have steel or aluminum housing and descriptions are vague. Hopefully some of you life long jeepers can can give me some advice :notworthy:

You can't go wrong with Warn premium hubs.

well i don't know much about where to look for them, but i have a front 5 bolt axle with locking hubs....its coming off to be replaced by another set...i can try to get some info on it if you like? wasn't planning on using it, either selling it, junking....

WARN has the reputation of being the best, but I have to question that after reading the thread last week with lots of members reporting that their mounting holes elongated and the bolts come loose?

I might be jinxing myself by saying this, but my AVM lockouts have taken a beating with a front locker and so far I haven't had any issues with cracking, loose bolts, elongated holes, or anything else. AVM 5 bolt lockouts are steel or cast iron where they bolt to the hub, and the outer part is aluminum. I think the WARN hubs are all aluminum(someone please tell me if I'm wrong about this), which might be why people on here have had so many problems with them?

Is that cracked lockout of yours stock? It looks a lot like my factory ones that have been taking up space in my basement. I never had any problems with them either, but I couldn't pass up a sweet deal on a clean used set of AVM's when I ran across them.

Yes, my lockouts are stock. I think that the OX locker was too much for them. As for the warn hubs, as near as I can tell they no longer make the 5 bolt premium hubs. Only the Standard hub, witch I think is aluminum.

I've been following that thread too. Good information there on securing the bolts. I like Terry99 safety wire best (I've worked on aircraft a little. I'm very familiar with it).

Last edited:
the set of premium Warn hubs I put on my rear axle a few years back I was not impressed with the appearance, I can say they have held up like all the other ones I have but I thought the fit and finish was not up to Warns reputation.

I have mile marker locking hubs. They have worked well so far. I have had no complaints. I can't really say if they are the 'best' though.

I have mile marker locking hubs. They have worked well so far. I have had no complaints. I can't really say if they are the 'best' though.

Are the housing on your Mile markers cast iron or aluminum?

WARN has the reputation of being the best, but I have to question that after reading the thread last week with lots of members reporting that their mounting holes elongated and the bolts come loose?

I might be jinxing myself by saying this, but my AVM lockouts have taken a beating with a front locker and so far I haven't had any issues with cracking, loose bolts, elongated holes, or anything else. AVM 5 bolt lockouts are steel or cast iron where they bolt to the hub, and the outer part is aluminum. I think the WARN hubs are all aluminum(someone please tell me if I'm wrong about this), which might be why people on here have had so many problems with them?

Is that cracked lockout of yours stock? It looks a lot like my factory ones that have been taking up space in my basement. I never had any problems with them either, but I couldn't pass up a sweet deal on a clean used set of AVM's when I ran across them.
Are you open dif in front? The bolts tend to loosen with LS or locker because of the added stress with more traction. I never had a problem untill the day I used the new installed Tru-trac.

I recently put an OX in the front. I'm sure that's why my stock hub is cracking. A few weeks back I took out the right U-joint. Chrom-Moly axles are next on my list when the pocket book recovers from the Ox locker and it's accessories. But for now the lockout hubs have me shut down. I want to go back together with a hub that will hold up to the diff locker.

With that in mind, I don't think I want anything that is made from cast aluminum. That eliminates warn, rugged ridge, and supper winch. (Keep in mind that unless I change my 5 bolt hub for a 6 bolt hub $100 more expense I'm stuck with the 5 bolt Lockout hub.)

From what I can tell from reading descriptions on the web only AVM and Mile Marker make hubs have iron bodies. Am I right?

From the research I did about 5 years ago when I bought new hubs I believe the AVM, mile marker and superwinch hubs are all made by the same company.
I went with the superwinch. The part that is held on with the 5 3/8 bolts is metal and the inside of the outer part is also metal. The outer cover is alum.
So far so good with mine with a truetrac and for the most part 33's. and some use with 35's.

Here's a link for the hub that fits cj's thats kinda funny, the pic. shows a hub thats different than ours and it says ALL metal construction even though the outside is alum.
Superwinch, LLC

After reading other forms and what you have said, it looks like the most popular ones are Mile Marker, Warn, and SuperWinch. Old Dog, I think you are right about SuperWinch and AVM being make by the same company. Moris 4X4 Center has the SuperWinch part number and info but the picture is AVM. Not that that means anything.

Someone pointed out that the lockout hub is like a fuse in your drivetrain. You want them to break before your axle, U-joint, gears, ect. They are a lot easier to replace on the trail than say an axle U-joint and a spare lockout takes up less space than a spare axle. Just a though.

It seems like a tossup between SuperWinch and MileMarker. I just ordered some SuperWinch. I'll give them a try :p:):p

Can't go wrong with Warn Premium hubs.
Also I used to love Selectro Hubs. They came stock on Scouts. They are made by MileMarker but I don't think they are avaliable for CJs any more.
SELECTOD60HUBS.JPG

Yukon has released new locking hubs. I know the company and have used thier products but I have never used these hubs. Knowing thier reputation I would buy a pair of thier hubs.
DSC_0776.jpg

I just repaced my stockers with AVM's. Love the way they look, very simple install (5 min on the trail) Ultra reinforced nodular iron body, chromed aluminium cap, Internal components: CNC machined, heat treated. Got me out, just sayin' ;~}
Jeep rescue mission - YouTube

I just repaced my stockers with AVM's. Love the way they look, very simple install (5 min on the trail) Ultra reinforced nodular iron body, chromed aluminium cap, Internal components: CNC machined, heat treated. Got me out, just sayin' ;~}
Jeep rescue mission - YouTube
And, they were only $119. ;~}

Are you open dif in front? The bolts tend to loosen with LS or locker because of the added stress with more traction. I never had a problem untill the day I used the new installed Tru-trac.

Sasquach, I have an Aussie locker in the front, and I've beaten the hell out of my AVM hubs at Kansas Rocks and elsewhere with no issues. :cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom