Best oil to use

Best oil to use

ftwflh

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ 5, 232 6cyl 3spd lots of rust,good frame,Dana 44s w/373 gears,ProComp 4in lift kit
What would be the best oil to run in a old AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l that has a little noise and smokes a little when started?
I am thinking Valvoline 20w50 with Lucus oil treatment.

It may depend on how you will use it and what the source of the noise is. So what it's use?
What's the noise?

It is a ticking sound.The oil hasnt been changed in over a year and the guy that I got it from didnt know what was in it.
I plan on using this just for a bottoms cruiser in a little mud and sand.Mostly dirt roads.
Getting the steering lined out first.then if I need to work on the engine I will feel better about it.I dont have much in this so I can drop a little into it.

Don't waste money on highend oil, grab a good quality oil in the weight and temp range for your area. Then add a little no-smoke to quiet the noise and stop the smoking. No smoke usually looks like a bottle of honey.

The newest oil on the market is wrong for your AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l because you have a flat-tappet camshaft. New oil like the SM rated oil do not contain enough ZDDP. This is an anti-scuff additive needed for flat-tappet cams. The ZDDP was removed for 2 reasons.
1. It can harm catalytic converters.
2. It is not needed on today's engines because they use rollers on the cam lobes.
Oil rated with the older SL rating has more ZDDP. 2 other choices would be to use racing oil or oil designed for diesel engines like Shell Rotella 15W40. I'm not saying that my recomendation will fix your noise and smoke issues. But the noise may be from the previous owner running newer oil and causing cam lobe and lifter damage. You can also get ZDDP in some oil additives.

I use Shell Rotella in mine.:)

Don't waste money on highend oil, grab a good quality oil in the weight and temp range for your area.
I agree with Brock.
Regular oil changes are far more important than the type or brand of oil. I would rather use generic oil every 3000 miles rather than high end oil replaced every 6000 miles. Yes I know there is oil that is advertised to go 10,000 miles between changes. But they still get dirty after 3000 miles even though the oil doesn't break down.

Do you all think 20w50 will be ok?OR do you think I should go with 10w40.I like the idea of a heavier oil in an older engine that may be a little on the loose side.

rotella 10w40 if it smokes bad try a bottle of no smoke
I've ran engines along time that was on a last leg, LOL.

Rotella by the gallon at Walmart. Even in the sportbike world Rotella rules the roost for quality and price.

Do you all think 20w50 will be ok?OR do you think I should go with 10w40.I like the idea of a heavier oil in an older engine that may be a little on the loose side.

Jeep recommended Sae 30 when it was built. 20W50 is still thinner than Sae 30.

I have been running the 20w50 rotella in my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l just because no body wants to stock the 10 w30 It is ok so far. Of course it isn't winter yet either.
will your ticking noise go away when you retart the spark just a bit??:cool:

Since the noise sounds like a valve lifter ticking and not a low end knock, I agree with the advice on use of a good multi-grade like 10W30 and change every 3000 miles or 6 months. The lighter weight will ensure better lubrication and greater flow than the heavy oil in most cases. An additive to help with maintaining a good oil film will also improve engine life.

Mine was clicking too until I changed my oil. I have no idea what the PO put in there before me, but I decided to run Royal Purple 10w40. Now, no clicking noise and a much smoother run. Pricey for an oil change, but so far so good.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom