Bestop supertop :(

Bestop supertop :(

cass

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 Cj5, 350 chevy (i built myself), T176, Dana 300, stock narrow trac 3.54 axles, locked in the rear, power steering, power brakes, tilt steering, Warn lockouts, 31x10.50x15 AT's, hi lift jack mounted on the front, bed lined tub, firestick cb setup, 5 in hella lights, NO RUST!!
so i ordered a new bestop supetop. it got here with a hole in the top and in both quater windows. i called them and they sent me out a new kit im supposed to replace the bad parts and send the rest back. so this morning i took the new top and windows out of the box only to find another brand new top with a hole in the top. this time it didnt go through the side windows. this is just great because they probably wont believe me that it came out of the box this way. i sent them an email with pictures as soon as i found them because then they would see the date and time. the bad thing is the holes are in the same spots in both tops. has anyone had similar problems? im not so happy about spending $750 on a top with a hole in it. other than these problems i love the quality of the top.

Did you take pics of the damage to the boxes?
Stick to your guns and make them replace it again...

Did you take pics of the damage to the boxes?
Stick to your guns and make them replace it again...
Totally agree. Somebody in their shipping department is dropping the ball. Keep accurate pictures and documentation and be professional when dealing with them. You catch more flies with honey then with vinegar :D

Was there damage to the box? ie. was it done in shipping or was it boxed up with a hole like that?

I put one on mine in June. When it arrived the box was absolutely beat to heck. I took pictures before I opened the box, as I knew the top would have to be trashed. When I opened the box, the top was in perfect condition. I guess I was very lucky.

Sorry you are having so much trouble, but I do believe the top is a high quality product and worth the wait. Good luck with getting a good one. :chug:

well the first box was beat to hell but both of them were damaged before packaging. both holes were in the inside of the fold for the main top. the second one that showed up had a flawless box. it came fedex. first one came UPS. im almost certain both were packaged that way. the hole in the second one isnt near as big but i will be damned if im going to pay $750 for a top that has a hole in it :( i have a feeling they arent going to believe me and say i did it when i got it out of the box.

well the first box was beat to hell but both of them were damaged before packaging. both holes were in the inside of the fold for the main top. the second one that showed up had a flawless box. it came fedex. first one came UPS. im almost certain both were packaged that way. the hole in the second one isnt near as big but i will be damned if im going to pay $750 for a top that has a hole in it :( i have a feeling they arent going to believe me and say i did it when i got it out of the box.

I doubt it because you have nothing to gain by damaging the top. If its happened to you twice, I'm sure its happened to others. Sounds like a quality control problem. If anything, I'd express your concerns and make sure someone inspects the next one.

I doubt it because you have nothing to gain by damaging the top. If its happened to you twice, I'm sure its happened to others. Sounds like a quality control problem. If anything, I'd express your concerns and make sure someone inspects the next one.

i guess your right about that :) im going to try and call them today about it.

sounds like they got Rats. Just trying to make light of the situation. Somtimes that stuff can be so frustrating.

I just got one from Amazon.com. It was fine. Sorry for your ordeal!

Hi Cass. I just ordered a black denuim supertop for my 79 CJ5 today and joined this forum tonight. OMG to coin a phrase. I ordered it from a local 4x4 shop so thanks to your post I will check it out completely before I leave their place. Thanks so much..Hope you have final success with your top.

there is no question about the quality of the top. its a very nice top. just somone sleeping on the job i guess.

Good Luck!
I ordered a Bestop Supertop and after many many times of returns and hassles the 4X4 Shop stepped up and returned it, I bought seats instead.
My problems were with the Fit so hopefully you will have much better luck.
Not so sure that these guys are the best on the block anymore!!! but lucky for me the shop was stand up!

thats what sucks about living in the sticks. i had to mail order it because the nearest shop is AMC 150 miles away i bet. im sure there would be one in kansas city. lol i got mine to fit good and very happy with that part.

well i got them sending just another deck skin this time. they are going to take it out of the box and personally inspect it. she said it probably wont go out today because of the extra inspection. i told her i dont care how long it takes as long as i get one here with no hole in it. so i should be good to go now. :chug:

Hey Cass. Im glad to hear they are willing to work you on this one. I got mine today and got it on this afternoon since it was nice weather here for a short time longer. I opened and inspected totally before i left the shop. It was good so i took it and sped off. I paid for it of course. I guess i need to do some kind of adjustment with the windshield cause i couldnt get the upper doors on. The directions say something about shims to get the windshield in the right place. I will stop by the shop tomorrow and see what they mean on those shims

You aren't the only one. I'd bet that the QC oversight happened with the company you bought it from and not Bestop. My experience has been that previously returned items get pieced out and sent to other customers over and over again.

One of the problems that I had was that the Doors (Mine has the hard doors) wouldn't close. They hit the top part of the windshield piece and bars that attach to the windshield.
Good luck.

this has been an issue since Bestop sent production off shore a while back.
Like so many companies the bottom line became profits and not quality.

I agree the problem is most likely that is being built offshore and Quality Control is non-existent. Once it gets here we the customer is most likely stuck with it.

The Customer Support woman actually stated to me that "since I had installed it properly then it was not a warranty issue and they would not take it back since it would not stay installed"?!??!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom