Big guy replacement seats

Big guy replacement seats

viking4949

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ 7 258 t150,
1995 YJ 2.5
I am a larger man, and broke the seat back on my 1979 CJ7 . After scouring the forums, I decided on purchasing the Bestop Trailmax II seat. I searched a lot of forums to get to this conclusion. I looked all over to get answers ago I wanted to put my experience in one post for others searching for the same info. First, the color and texture of the vinyl is very close to original. It is not the exact same but close in the spice option. The stitching and layout is not a match to original, but looks good. The seat has three sets of bolt holes built in. One matched my oem bracket perfectly. I needed to add shims to get the slider mechanism to move freely. The seat cushion thickness is quite different from my original seat. I sit about 2.5 inches higher. This is not the most ideal with a non tilt steering wheel and big legs. I do feel much more secure and safe in the seat. If you are wondering if your sat is worn out, sit in the passenger seat for a ride and compare. My passenger seat is nearly pristine compared to my old drivers seat. A quick ride confirmed that my drivers seat was shot. I am cheap and looked all over for the best deal, nearly bought a rugged ridge seat but found poor reviews all over. I did finally find a site with the lowest price and free shipping, but could not find anyone else that used them. I was very sceptical but my seat arrived in 2 days in an original Bestop box. I used xtremeTerrain.com. I will be replacing the passenger seat at some point with the same. Installation was pretty easy but all four of my original bolts broke as I tried to remove it. Hope this helps someone else with the same questions I had.

thanks for the heads up ...those are high back seats right, and would they be feesable with a harness?

no problem, ive been on the look out for a set to replace the "one" driver seat mine came with, and have a passenger too.:D since the PO i think took it out, or it just didn't come with it.

But im thinking of using like some sport seats, only cuz there a little smaller then some of the truck bucket seats? i.e. on craigslist there was a set of 67 camero seats were for sale 100$ black leather and they were a little faded, but don't know about how they'll stand up as far as being used in a jeep, bumps and going up hills, and everything else that will be drivin over...

any thoughts

I have those Bestop seats and they are quite an improvement over the oem seats with that extra padding. I did have a similiar issue with riding in a more elevated position as you did. So far to improve this problem I removed the drivers seat slider and installed a homemade adapter to allow me to sit in a non-adjustable position. On the passenger side I was able to lower the seat down by using the Bestop seat brackets. I was able to get by with these changes and do plan to do more like lower down the seat back rake on the drivers side and install a Bestop bracket on that side also. I have the high back version.

thanks for the post on seats. I will agree that it is a subject that really should get more discussion than it does.

I also am a big guy, 6-3 and 300 lbs with a CJ5 , which gives me even less room than you have in your 7.:cool:

Back in the day I used to be able to buy Chevrolet work van, low back, seats from the custom van shops for $50 a pair. These were identical to the ones in my 77. This worked great until they decided that they could buy vans from the dealer with no seat at all and save a couple of bucks.

I tried some after market seats and found that they set higher and farther forward and although they reduced the chance of me falling out the door they were very uncomfortable.

In this incarnation I crawled grave yards until I found a sound set of 80s van seats bought some marine vinyl and took them to a local upholstery shop. they replaced several springs and a lot of the foam and recovered them and total cost was just about what a set of after market seats that I knew I would not like, would have cost me.

I would recommend the installation of a tilt wheel from a 90s Cherokee. It makes it much easier to get in and out and gives room where you need it when driving. It is remarkably easy to swap and the wiring is all but "plug and play".

Another "big guy" trick is a good solid console to use for support rather than the back of the seat. This also makes entry and exit a lot easier.

Good luck with the seats, keep us posted on how they work out for you.

Can't seem to find it now, but there is a thread about what junkyard seats bolt in without much adaptation. I wanted to stay low back so that was not an option. Seems cavaliers, sun fires, and rangers are popular donors.

IO, although i may be half the man you are ;) i am about 6'1 or so... and am seeing alot of guys talking about max space, and using that tilt steering idea was one of the first...but i didn't know what was a good recommendation... now i have a head start....

TO THE JUNKKKKK YARRRRRRRRRRD.:drool:

Just another angle to look at guys. I took my 84 CJ7 seat to the auto upholsterer in town. Stripped, welded to good as new, re padded, $140.00 out the door. The re-weld was 75 bucks.

You could move the passenger seat to the driver side and repair the driver side, keep the original seats and nobody is the wiser.

For me it was a cheap fix for a problem of keeping my classic in OEM condition.

Well I wish I had that luxury but I only have the driver seat, and it's not in the best condition. I'd like to get something as a set, to kinda match, cuz I'm weird like that. So maybe I'll find a set off craigslist that'll work.

My issue is I would like to find the OEM red if possible and no one makes them in red that I can find. I am 6'3" 195lbs so I find the OEM comfy...

I remember being that size, at about your age, getting old sux.

you can find just about any color you can imagine in UV resistant marine vinyl.

My issue is I would like to find the OEM red if possible and no one makes them in red that I can find. I am 6'3" 195lbs so I find the OEM comfy...

Also check into COLOR BOND. Search bryndana.com. You may even have a company in your area that will do an analysis of the color that you want and match it and apply it for you. There really are quite a few options. The hard part is finding that OEM pattern. Good luck

Ha! Yes being 34 has shown a slowing already of metabolism...the last 6 months I have drop 20 lbs...was pushing 260 a few years ago.

What road! Thank yo for the info!

I don't know if you guys only want low back seat but when I first got my CJ5 back in 1991 it had some seats from a late 70's camaro in them and they were a direct fit. The seat was not very thick and pretty comfortable to boot. Also I am pretty sure the tilt steering columns from those years are the same as our Jeeps as well right down to the plug connector.

the column is a GM in most or our jeeps, the biggest plus to using one from a late model Cherokee is it comes with this cool padded steering wheel that says "Jeep" on it.:cool:

the cover was a gift:rolleyes:

One other interesting bit of trivia, the GM seats may fit the Jeep slider but the GM slider will not fit the Jeep pedestal. Once again, don't throw away anything. The phrase "only in a Jeep" may have more than one meaning.:D

I don't know if you guys only want low back seat but when I first got my CJ5 back in 1991 it had some seats from a late 70's camaro in them and they were a direct fit. The seat was not very thick and pretty comfortable to boot. Also I am pretty sure the tilt steering columns from those years are the same as our Jeeps as well right down to the plug connector.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom