Body rust stinks!

Not a pretty picture! Well new tubs are a bit pricey as is the fiberglass route but what about a junk yard YJ tub?

I love my fiberglass body. 18 years old and it still looks new.

I was thinking of a steel replacement, like you can find online. I don't have the tools or equipment to cut or melt metal, but I expect I'd have to cut out the existing bed and weld in a new rear section.

I was in a similar situation, I bought a used welder for a couple hundred dollars a grinder for under fifty and went to work. They sell replacement panels at Quadratec, 4WD Hardware and Tellico. If your not that handy at welding, which is easier than it looks, then I would go with the YJ body swap, you can usually pick up a used tub for under $1000 dollars, If my tub was beyond repair, I would go that route. There are posts on the internet on how to do the swap, just Goggle it and see what you think and if you are up to it.
You can also look at Aqualu Industries Inc., they make aluminum tubs for Jeeps, which would be a bit cheaper than a complete metal replacement. There is always the fiberglass route, which some guys really like. I would do some research on the net, ask questions on this site because there is a lot of handy knowledgeable people on here. I hope this is of some help to you. :)

Cheers, Brian

If you had an aluminum body would you paint it or polish it??:D

I was in a similar situation, I bought a used welder for a couple hundred dollars a grinder for under fifty and went to work. They sell replacement panels at Quadratec, 4WD Hardware and Tellico. If your not that handy at welding, which is easier than it looks, then I would go with the YJ body swap, you can usually pick up a used tub for under $1000 dollars, If my tub was beyond repair, I would go that route. There are posts on the internet on how to do the swap, just Goggle it and see what you think and if you are up to it.
You can also look at Aqualu Industries Inc., they make aluminum tubs for Jeeps, which would be a bit cheaper than a complete metal replacement. There is always the fiberglass route, which some guys really like. I would do some research on the net, ask questions on this site because there is a lot of handy knowledgeable people on here. I hope this is of some help to you. :)

Cheers, Brian

If you had an aluminum body would you paint it or polish it??:D

I'm thinking "engine turning", make the whole rig look like a 55'T-Bird dashboard.:cool:

I'm thinking "engine turning", make the whole rig look like a 55'T-Bird dashboard.:cool:

Here we go again! Do you guy's have ADD or what?
Quote"I'm looking for economical and ease of repair for body rust on my CJ7 ."

He is looking for a realistic solution not a "dream Jeep" solution.

Back to Earth.....I don't see repairing your body as a realistic choice myself concidering your extent of rust but I guess it depends on what you want to end up with. If you feel your frame and running gear is good enough to justify the expence of a body retrofit then you have to make the choice of the options brought up here.

Back to Earth.....I don't see repairing your body as a realistic choice myself concidering your extent of rust but I guess it depends on what you want to end up with. If you feel your frame and running gear is good enough to justify the expence of a body retrofit then you have to make the choice of the options brought up here.

Hey I didn't bring up the aluminum body, I just think they're cool.
I doubt I'll ever have one but they're cool.:drool:

There are only two options, repair or replace, we discussed both.
As far as I can see the aluminum body is quite cost effective if you were thinking about an after market, all steel tubs. About 4 grand does one or the other.:cool:
And another aluminum option would be the highway sign held with zip screws and /or pop rivets.:D

For some patch panels, Eastwood makes a adhesive putty stuff that bonds the new metal to the old. uses pop rivets or screws to hold it together, I think. I don't have time this morning to look it up, but google Eastwood restoration and see if it will work for ya.

personally, i would look for a YJ tub. I got a deal and picked mine up for $AMC 150 on CL. there is only minor changes made for the body mounts, and I have even seen some guys run without a couple of the body mounts, as i think there are 10 body mounts.

What issues with the VIN come up with a tub swap? Will that make it a salvaged or rebuild title?

What issues with the VIN come up with a tub swap? Will that make it a salvaged or rebuild title?

When you pull the tub off, the VIN is on a piece that can be removed, without removing the PIN tag. ON mine there were just a couple bolts hoding it to the body inside the windshield. I think mine measueres around 5 inches by 8 inches with a lip on it??? It is in my garage on a shelf.

As for the VIN; it's usually on a plate, secured by pop rivets... just drill them out and rivet it on the new tub...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom