bolt on power

derekcj5

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5 AMC304 T150 Dana 30/Aussie Locker Model 20/Trac Lock

1941 Willy's MB
what are some of the best bolt on mods (meaning most improvement in power/torque) some of you have added to your AMC 304 ?

1) Exhaust - AMC's with dogleg ports love to breath.
2) Intake - AMC's with dogleg ports love to breath.
3) Cam - AMC's with dogleg ports love to breath.
4) Ignition - AMC's with dogleg ports love to breath and need firepower to do so.

The first three together really make a difference... :)

1) Exhaust - AMC's with dogleg ports love to breath.
2) Intake - AMC's with dogleg ports love to breath.
3) Cam - AMC's with dogleg ports love to breath.
4) Ignition - AMC's with dogleg ports love to breath and need firepower to do so.

The first three together really make a difference... :)
bahaha excellent.... pretty basic answer im diggin it lol:D

But seriously, X2 on what CJ said.;)

You cannot believe how much that little AMC 304 will wake up with a header and exhaust swap, and a simple intake and cam package change (including a new 4bl carb). It can scare you when it's running right. It will rev so fast that your shorts will be sucked right up! :)

Just don't over rev the oiling system and you'll surprise yourself. Relatively cheap upgrades and they will wake up that little v8.

I think a excellant thread is what to buy for Bolt On Power.I'm sure everyone will have a different opinon but if it works who cares.It would help us to have a place to start.I want to do this to mine but not real savy on what to avoid.
Sorry didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.
Mike

You cannot believe how much that little AMC 304 will wake up with a header and exhaust swap, and a simple intake and cam package change (including a new 4bl carb). It can scare you when it's running right. It will rev so fast that your shorts will be sucked right up! :)

Just don't over rev the oiling system and you'll surprise yourself. Relatively cheap upgrades and they will wake up that little v8.
yeah workin on a header swap... gotta do some "shady" business out west here in cali to get someone to smog the damn thing. figured i might as well swap headers on considering ive already got an intake, carb, cam, and not to mention ive taken all the egr bull**** off. funny part is it will still pass the sniffer test, just not the visual

yeah workin on a header swap... gotta do some "shady" business out west here in cali to get someone to smog the damn thing. figured i might as well swap headers on considering ive already got an intake, carb, cam, and not to mention ive taken all the egr bull**** off. funny part is it will still pass the sniffer test, just not the visual

That's the part that's chaps my <-BAD WORD->.
The actual emissions should be the issue, not whether or not you keep a bunch of useless non-working :dung: on your Jeep. If you switch to aftermarket closed loop EFI, a hi-performance ignition, headers & dual exhaust. Most Jeeps will tail pipe better than a completely stock CJ in like new condition.:wtf:

Exactly, it should be the result - not the progression to it! If your vehicle meets or exceeds your specifications, you should pass! :mad:

hell yeah they will. that part is ridiculous. they seriously need to update their protocol. not to mention, why in the world is 75 the magic yr to start smog testing? i understand the first uses of egr and all the useless :dung:, but seriously, time to switch to different system, like texas. 25 yrs old or more and its a CLASSIC. Come on california, lets get on the ball here... it would work if we could gag all the liberals.

I think a excellant thread is what to buy for Bolt On Power.I'm sure everyone will have a different opinon but if it works who cares.It would help us to have a place to start.I want to do this to mine but not real savy on what to avoid.
Sorry didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.
Mike
hey no problem man.... start up a thread then, lets see what combos we have out there. thats what i was tryin for here, its till early in the thread, we'll see what we catch

As plentiful as the AMC 360's are I think a swap to a 360 is probably the best power upgrade. I guess it would be considered a "bolt-on" since most of your AMC 304 's parts will swap right over to the 360. Find a decent long block and they're usually as much as a freaking timing chain cover!! And why are timing chain covers for AMC V8's so freaking expensive?? But I digress......

Anyway, as far as bolt-on power adders for the AMC 304 I don't really think there is much more to say than intake, cam, headers, ignition and maybe FI if you can afford it. Maybe roller rockers (not really a power adder), definitely head work (port/polish, 3 angle valve job), maybe bigger valves (not a lot available and you have to watch the clearance to the deck), overbore (not bolt -on) and custom forged pistons (wayyy expensive).... I dunno, did I miss anything?

And while I'm on the subject just where would one find higher compression pistons for a AMC 304 that don't cost $900 a set and have to be custom made? If I rebuild my AMC 304 I'd love to bring the compression up to 9:1 but I can't find anything out there...

Has anyone added the FI onto one? This is one upgrade I am definitely interested in.

Has anyone added the FI onto one? This is one upgrade I am definitely interested in.

Search the threads.
I know I've seen some people do the Holley Pro-Jection.
I've seen a DIY TBI setup using GM parts.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom