Brake lights turn on front signal lights?

Brake lights turn on front signal lights?
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
66 chevelle
76 cj-5
My new toy, a 76 CJ5 , has lots of issues, mostly electrical. Most have been worked out, but here's one I can't figure. When brake light switch is activated, the front turn signal lights come on. No blinking, just on and off with the brake lights. I've spent a lot of time with a wiring diagram, but can't figure. Electrical wizard available? Give me a shout if you know what's up!
Thanks,
Rich

I've seen wrong bulbs cause this problem. Someone jams a bulb in backwards somehow or puts a single filament bulb into a dual filament socket. Causes a back feed through the parking light circuit. Possibly your issue but may not be

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Who printed the diagram are you looking at?? this will be easier if I can give you position reference numbers from the FSM or maybe Haynes or Chilton whatever you have.

We can give this a try:cool:

My Front signal lights come on also when the brake is applied. Mine are for group trail riding so the guy in front can see when I am braking and look to see if there are issues etc.. Just another way of keeping a eye on each other.:)

Hello!
I got the diagram off the net. It's a good one, big and clear. Printed huge copy. Sorry don't know what an FSM is. Seems wires ave got to be shorted together somewhere, just don't know where to start. HATE ELECTRICAL ISSUES!
Thanks,
Rich

OK, so i asm work and have no diagram any way but...

The only place I can see to check are at the steering column connector, I hope this isn't it, and the connector for the rear harness assembly which can be found under the dash near the emergency brake peddle. I would look at that one first and see if the problem went away when the rear harness was unplugged. If so see if you have a short between the light green and white wire on the light end of the harness plug.

I think this is right but memory is not always what we hope it will be.:D

Oh yea, FSM = factory service manual.

Hello!
I got the diagram off the net. It's a good one, big and clear. Printed huge copy. Sorry don't know what an FSM is. Seems wires ave got to be shorted together somewhere, just don't know where to start. HATE ELECTRICAL ISSUES!
Thanks,
Rich

Shorted wire is possible but headlight switch would be somewhere to look also.

Try unplugging it and see what happens; don't recall if that has to be plugged in to operate the brake lights though.

I had sort of the same issue with the CJ and it ended up being a broken blinker switch.. Im not sure exactly how but I thing it had to do with the hazards.. I changed swutch out and it worked great.

Sometimes you end up chasing your tail on one like this; everything is tied into the parking lights.

The light switch is an excellent place to look for bad connections, both it and the dimmer switch are not really capable of handling the kind of amperage we put through them year after year. but I still have to say that the reat light harness is still my first guess the blinker light wires are the green with white trace and the light green and the parking lights are white.

If I am not mistaken the turn lights are used for the brakes also and the steering/blinker switch disables the blinker when the brake is on. Is it the parking lights or the turn signal lights that are coming on in the front??:cool:

My new toy, a 76 CJ5 , has lots of issues, mostly electrical. Most have been worked out, but here's one I can't figure. When brake light switch is activated, the front turn signal lights come on. No blinking, just on and off with the brake lights. I've spent a lot of time with a wiring diagram, but can't figure. Electrical wizard available? Give me a shout if you know what's up!
Thanks,
Rich

I know this is an old post but the same thing started happening to me today although both the front and rear turn signal lights come on steady when I apply the brakes and turn signals no longer work. Turns out that I accidentally hit the hazard light button with my knee while climbing out of the Jeep which automatically disables the turn signals giving them over to the hazard relay. The problem is that my hazard relay keeps vibrating out and I currently don't have it installed which gives me no indication that the hazard light button is pushed in. Thought this might help someone.

By the way, does anybody have any ideas on how to keep the hazard light relay in place?

Tie-wrap. :D
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom