Camping Trip with the Grandson - A First!

Camping Trip with the Grandson - A First!

Peanut Butter

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ7 TH400 Automatic 258 I6 Quadratrac Amc 20 rear & Dana 30 front, 32 x 11.5 x 15 tires. Currently a Complete Custom Rebuild in progress.

Also I own a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, White, all stock with 4.0L. automatic, and police package. Best part of that is it came with leather seats! This package also has the NP242 Transfer Case, 8.25 rear end, and trailer towing package.
So I didn't use a Jeep this time, but I took my grandson on his first camping trip with me. His family goes camping in their travel trailer, but we did the old tent thing. We had a lot of fun. The whole weekend was awesome. Texas has a really GREAT State Park system. We went to Government Canyon State Nature Area just West of San Antonio. Not a far drive by any means. I picked him up after school on Friday and we came home around noon on Sunday. Lot of trails to hike. We did one Saturday that was 5 miles round trip. Had to push him a little to get it done, but a lot of fun for both of us. Here are a few pictures of our weekend:

Our camp site:
WP_20161028_002_zps3ve7lebn.jpg

Our Tent:
WP_20161028_006_zpspcggdbcv.jpg

Cooking our first meal:
WP_20161028_004_zps7yt6sltl.jpg

Foil packs with Hamburger, Potatoes, Carrots, gravy mix, and ketchup:
WP_20161028_005_zpszrhzxqag.jpg

Yum!
WP_20161028_007_zps31fxxikc.jpg

The grandson learns how to chop some wood:
WP_20161029_004_zpspb5yh7lg.jpg

Our hiking trail on Saturday:
WP_20161029_010_zps87ia99tt.jpg

Guess who else has been here?
WP_20161029_011_zpscpnalxve.jpg

WP_20161029_013_zps5is4v5rf.jpg

WP_20161029_018_zpstqayxyks.jpg

WP_20161029_020_zpsfaqdfwnq.jpg

My grandson also learned how to build and start a fire:
WP_20161029_025_zpsyopdgzg7.jpg

And we have flames!
WP_20161029_027_zpsvtxxi3il.jpg

Nice fire:
WP_20161029_029_zpsbc7izodj.jpg

The two Great Explores at the trail head!
WP_20161030_001_zpscu4blztr.jpg

What an awesome weekend at a Great place!
WP_20161030_002_zpsohddjsu7.jpg

Time well spent. Thanks for sharing.

Un-replaceable memories, for the both of you. :notworthy:
LG

Thanks guys. It will be one for the record books. I've always dreamed of taking the grand kids down Padre Island in my Jeep, so I HAVE to get it done and do that too.

When my kids and now g'kids where big enough to reach the pedals. I taught'em to drive my Jeep.
LG

Excellent! Good for both of you! :notworthy:

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Those kind of impressions and memories will live on forever with your grandson. Not to mention he is adorable. Good times! :D

Thanks, I don't think he knows that yet, but the girls sure do. :laugh:

Makes me want to go camping! Get them kids out doing basic stuff in the forrest and everybody leaves with good memories.

When my kids and now g'kids where big enough to reach the pedals. I taught'em to drive my Jeep.
LG

LG, I have a very fond memory of driving my Uncle's converted VW Bug. He was a great mechanic and fabricator. I wish he was still around, so that I could learn a thing or two. Anyway, it was a VW Bug with an old Ford top on it and home made doors, fenders, and a cover for the engine when transporting. We went to a place he had on the Baja of California. I got to drive up and down the beach all day. At age 13 it was awesome!

Last edited:
Makes me want to go camping! Get them kids out doing basic stuff in the forrest and everybody leaves with good memories.

Don't just want, go do! One thing I've learned over the years is that we never know what will happen in our life. Waiting can be disastrous. The wife and I thought we would travel after I retired from the Military. Didn't happen due to my health problems. In the last 4 years we made a change in scenery to help with those issues. Now, I try to do what I want as soon as I can. Unfortunately our time here on Earth is Limited, so we must use every moment we can. In other words, there is no time like the present to make that camping trip. Just do it! I've still got a few left in me, so stay tuned.

PeanutButter is EXACTLY right. I'm trying to live that way myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks