carberator?

carberator?

uh60chief

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1969 CJ5 4X4 all stock
I have a 69 CJ5 with the original v6. The jeep sat for about a month and now I can start it and it will run but as soon as I let off the gas it dies. I have tried it for 4 days now and it does the same thing, the first time I start it, it will run then I let off the gas and it dies then I try to start it again and it won't start. Is it the carberator? Thanks in advance

You could have carb problems, possibly related to the float bowl, and needle and seat assembly. You should also make sure the fuel pump is delivering enough gas to that float bowl.

could be a choke issue.

Will it not start at all afterward or you just have to crank it a bunch and pump the gas, etc.

Does it do this only on the first start when cold or continually if you've driven it around and warmed it up?

On the first start it fires right up with no hesitation, but as soon as I let off the gas to let it idle it dies and will not start again. It has done this for 5 days in a row. Any ideas? I took the air cleaner off and the carb is getting gas.

I would check for clogged needle seats in the idle jets. pull them out blow some carb cleaner through them and re adjust. :cool:

I think the best thing to do is find out if this is a cold start problem or if this happens once the engine is warmed up as well.

Get it running and let it warm up to complete operating temp before you let it stall. Try and drive it up and down the road a couple times.

Then let us know if it still dies when you let your foot off the gas and/or struggles to restart.

And does your jeep have a choke?

OK, I just started it and it fired right up, I kept my foot on the gas this time and it died and won't start again. I popped the hood and gas is leaking out of the port on the passenger side on to the manifold. When I am trying to start it I can see gas being pumped into it so I don't think it is the fuel pump. Thx again.

Yikes. Glad you spotted that before fire took over.

By port do you mean part of the fuel line or ?

Not sure if you that carb has a fuel bowl vent on the pass side but one of the other guys may have hit the nail on the head with the stuck float problem.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom