Carpet or rhino liner?

Carpet or rhino liner?

firefyter

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ 7 Straight 6, currently being lifted and tuned.
I have my first CJ7 an 85' model. No rust anywhere, it spent alot of time behind a motorhome and in the garage when it wasn't being towed. The hardtop has never been off and it is pretty much original except for the bumpers and wheels. Anyway I am going to put a 4 inch lift and bigger wheels and tires and a bikini top for summer. The carpet is in good shape but I don't like the way it fits around the various obtacles ie. ( shifters, seat brackets etc) I was thinking of a spray liner instead and wanted some opinions from the "veterans" thanks.

Its really personal preference. I have mine rhino lined and love it. I can get in and out with dirt and mud bring it home and rinse it out. Also dont have to worry about carpet stains and mildew in the carpet.
That being said carpet looks factory and nice and helps keep the noise down a little.
Hope this helps......

I have heard of several folks doing both. They line the tub then add the carpet when they want it. The lining helps to keep the the tub from rusting if the carpet gets wet. You can have "and" instead of "or".

it is a personal choice , I guess. I always thought of carpet in a CJ like lipstick on a pig. just a bit out of place IMHO.:cool:

it is a personal choice , I guess. I always thought of carpet in a CJ like lipstick on a pig. just a bit out of place IMHO.:cool:
HA! I'm definitely not a "veteran" but I just applied Dupli-Color's Bed Armor to the inside of my CJ5 and am pretty impressed with it so far. One gallon holds enough for one thin and three thick coats and pretty easy to apply. Can't speak to the durability yet as it's still drying.

I lined my tj and loved it. I cut up the old carpet to make large floormats.

I will line my cj if I get it. No worries that way and no rust hiding.

Well I herculined mine and didnt like it and when I get done restoring it I will have it Line Xed and will get carpet for it as well for when Im on the street :chug:

Since you have no rust yet, which is rare, I'd line it so it doesn't start rusting when it gets wet under the new bikini top. Add a good thick set of rubber floor mats, and the noise will be handled as well as carpet, and your tub will last a really long time. Just be sure to remove the roll bar and line under where it bolts, and anywhere else water can get trapped while you're at it.

:laugh::booze:

Not a vet, but when i get the funds i'll use a rino (or other type) of bed-lining materials, for the same reason Az84cj7 said... In and out with mud dirt and whatever, spill beer... I mean beverage on the trails no stains mold mildew etc.

I never really liked carpet in any of my vehicles though... When i get them its usually dirty and moldy and i rip it all out with intentions of replacing and never do... (except the boat... Barefoot likes carpet :cool:)

Either way :chug: and post some pics man...

~ JR

Since you have no rust yet, which is rare, I'd line it so it doesn't start rusting when it gets wet under the new bikini top. Add a good thick set of rubber floor mats, and the noise will be handled as well as carpet, and your tub will last a really long time. Just be sure to remove the roll bar and line under where it bolts, and anywhere else water can get trapped while you're at it.

X2 on that and if you doing the bikini top you cant cut the noise out yet.but it will be an issue if you want to top it in the future.....i heard undercoating it works on that ( cheap too ) :D

love the pig and lipstick analogy....I think I dated her

Thanks for the input guys, think I will spray line it, now I will start another debate with this question, ,Which liner?

to answer a question with a question: DIY or pay some body??:D

Thanks for the input guys, think I will spray line it, now I will start another debate with this question, ,Which liner?

I just did it myself using Durabak. It went on really good with a brush and shows no brush strokes. It cost me $108 delivered, it comes in all kinds of colors, and it's what the U.S. Navy uses. One gallon did the entire inside of my fiberglass tub, but if you want it really thick you'll need two gallons. That goes the same for all other brands of DIY liner as well.

Walmart sells a duplicolor brand of liner a whole lot cheaper, but I think it only comes in black, and I haven't read any reviews on it.

You can do spray on yourself if you have a paint gun and compressor, but you'll really need to do a lot of masking and have really good ventilation, and a respirator.

Whatever you use if you do it yourself, prep work is everything! Clean and degrease everything within an inch of its life, and when you think you have it cleaned good, clean it again. Then sand every square inch of the surface to be covered with 220 grit sand paper so it has a slightly roughed surface to stick to.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom