cherokee tranny

cherokee tranny

Out of my mind CJ5

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 CJ5
scrap built CJ7
i was in a junkyard today and saw a 79 full size cherokee with a 360 and a 4-speed. im not positive what type it is. anybody know what came in them and if it would go good in a cj with a 360? any thoughts are appreciated

A 1979 FSJ if stock and manual will have a T-18 . The FSJ T18s have a spacer/adaptor that pushes the tranny back about 5” from the V8 bell housing (less for the I6) and as such comes with a longer front shaft than the CJ T-18 . (Pilot bushing sizes vary too.) The problem with pushing the tranny back that far in a CJ5 is it shortens the rear drive line to the point you will have problems. However you can tear the FSJ T-18 down and change out the front shaft to work in a CJ, it only takes money. The 1979 FSJ bell housing was tapped for a T-15 , and a 1979 FSJ T-18 is set up to bolt to a Dana 20 Transfer Case . Best to make sure this is what the junk yard has as in 1980 & 1981 the J20 trucks came with a NP 208 Transfer Case which is a round pattern, not the Texas pattern of the Dana 20 .

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom