Chevy305/700r4tran?

Dano... So where are you at now? In one of your other threads you spelled out what you wanted and how you were going to use your ride etc... Why do you insist on changing it up say this and saying that... Just get on with it, Pull the trigger and START BUILDING something... Just saying. If you go with Chevy motors go with a 350 (it's obvious as to why).... If you go with a Ford a newer 302 or a 351. As for GM Auto Transmission ... you have a slew of choices.... seeingthat you won't be wheeling hard a TH350 will be ideal, if you want something stronger GM Turbo 400 of the 700r4... As for the fords trannies the c4 will work for what you are planning the c6 is even stronger, basically it's ford version of GM's GM Turbo 400 ... As for the manual trannies, GM & Ford have good if not great selections... like mentioned earlier... do you want a fast shifting tranny? if so, go with an auto.
On a side note, I thought I jumped back and forth from what I wanted to do but dang man... Pick something and go with it already... Do you have any pics of your ride... I don't think I have seen any...

Dang fifesjeep your brutal. It' seems your the only one who doesn't understand that when youve(meaning me) never done a build like this, things will change. It's getting an idea researching it, throwing it out to you guys to get feed back. Questions are then raised, opinions are given. Then you'll need to research those questions and opinions, and yes things do change. Sorry you seem to be so bothered with this. I'm doing my best not to waste Anyones time. This is a forum for discussion and opinions that's why I'm here.

Dang fifesjeep your brutal. It' seems your the only one who doesn't understand that when youve(meaning me) never done a build like this, things will change. It's getting an idea researching it, throwing it out to you guys to get feed back. Questions are then raised, opinions are given. Then you'll need to research those questions and opinions, and yes things do change. Sorry you seem to be so bothered with this. I'm doing my best not to waste Anyones time. This is a forum for discussion and opinions that's why I'm here.

No worries Dano. Planning is half the fun.

There is so much out there to choose from. That is what makes it hard.

Then a deal on CL (or whatever) comes up and things get a rolling.

FWIW. I like NV4500`s.

No matter how you build it, your probally going to change something down the road.
It's a jeep thing.:D

Dog your absolutely right. I think that's why this is so diff. Your trying to make a choice that you won't change later. I realize now that seems to be almost impossible. Thanks for the support. :)

No, I'm not being brutal... I just don't see or foresee any progress for a hot minute. As far as me not knowing or understanding what it's like to have a first build is... :rolleyes:. We all have stated, gave ideas, opinions etc from experience etc... Between the two common swaps (Ford & Chevy) both are covered extensively on most Jeep forums. I'm just saying keep it simple... You already know how you are going to use the Jeep, mostly road use with light offroading from time to time. This is my advice for you to start with... Dana 44 front, Go with the 8.8 rear, Chevy 350, if you want an auto go with the TH350... If you use a driver drop front axle I have a TH350 to Ford Transfer Case adapter ;).... if you want to use a manual tranny go with a 5 speed because this Jeep will be on the road more than the trails. The NV4500 is a great option especially when you toss on a Dana 300 . The biggest thing in my opinion is knowing how you are going to use it, once you know how you are going to use it, build it to be stronger... with that you can't go wrong.

No matter how you build it, your probally going to change something down the road.
It's a jeep thing.:D

Ain't that the absolute truth! :chug:

No, I'm not being brutal... I just don't see or foresee any progress for a hot minute. As far as me not knowing or understanding what it's like to have a first build is... :rolleyes:. We all have stated, gave ideas, opinions etc from experience etc... Between the two common swaps (Ford & Chevy) both are covered extensively on most Jeep forums. I'm just saying keep it simple... You already know how you are going to use the Jeep, mostly road use with light offroading from time to time. This is my advice for you to start with... Dana 44 front, Go with the 8.8 rear, Chevy 350, if you want an auto go with the TH350... If you use a driver drop front axle I have a TH350 to Ford Transfer Case adapter ;).... if you want to use a manual tranny go with a 5 speed because this Jeep will be on the road more than the trails. The NV4500 is a great option especially when you toss on a Dana 300 . The biggest thing in my opinion is knowing how you are going to use it, once you know how you are going to use it, build it to be stronger... with that you can't go wrong.

Ain't that the absolute truth! :chug:
Why an old school TH350 ? With any type of decent axle gearing. The final drive of 1 to 1 the T350 has. Limits on road flexibility. Especially taking into account what Dano`s intended use is.

Much rather see an Overdrive a 4 speed automatic or (even better) a 5 speed manual.

Again an example would be my own junk. NV4500/Atlas 3.8/5.13`s with a 37" tall tire.

70 mph in 5th is ~ 2200 rpm
1st gear in low range is about a 92x crawl ratio.

Not going to get that flexibility with a 3 speed Transmission with a conventional ratio spread and/or any with a 1 to 1 final drive..

70 mph with a T350/5.13`s/37`s is ~ 3500 rpm

For kicks. Plug some numbers in and come up with some comparisons.

Gear Ratio Calculator

Dano, using the chart and plugging in some tires/Transmission /TC/axle ratio`s. Should help you see what might be some driveline combination's that fit your requirements.

Why an old school TH350 ? With any type of decent axle gearing. The final drive of 1 to 1 the T350 has. Limits on road flexibility. Especially taking into account what Dano`s intended use is.

Much rather see an Overdrive a 4 speed automatic or a 5 speed manual. .

I have to agree. I run a TH350, 4:10's and 33's. 60 mph is 3000rpm's.
When using the calculator you have to remember, your tires will not measure what they say on the side of them.

Last edited:

I said the TH350 for a few reasons... and here are my thoughts as to why. His rig will be on the road 80% of the time and he's going to want highway gears... and to me, those are 3.54's or numerically lower. If I recall correctly he won't be on the rocks but more or less on wet/slick trails/hills etc so tire speed will be essential. My other thought for leaning towards the TH350 is that it's one of the smaller/shorter/durable auto's out there which will allow a slightly longer DS length when compared to other auto's.
As for Manuals... I'm all about granny 4 speeds or if one can find a 5 speed that the price isn't through the roof then I am all about that... I've been wanting a 5 speed manual... :chug:

I said the TH350 for a few reasons... and here are my thoughts as to why. His rig will be on the road 80% of the time and he's going to want highway gears... and to me, those are 3.54's or numerically lower. If I recall correctly he won't be on the rocks but more or less on wet/slick trails/hills etc so tire speed will be essential. My other thought for leaning towards the TH350 is that it's one of the smaller/shorter/durable auto's out there which will allow a slightly longer DS length when compared to other auto's.
As for Manuals... I'm all about granny 4 speeds or if one can find a 5 speed that the price isn't through the roof then I am all about that... I've been wanting a 5 speed manual... :chug:

Not if he is going to run any decent size tire. Unless Dano goes to an Atlas 4 speed TC.

My NV4500 came fron eBay. At the time it was only a few hundred bucks. Bet you could still find one if you looked hard enough.

Not if he is going to run any decent size tire. Unless Dano goes to an Atlas 4 speed TC.

My NV4500 came fron eBay. At the time it was only a few hundred bucks. Bet you could still find one if you looked hard enough.

I ran 36" tires axles geared with 3.54's.... and I never had an issue, then again gas was a lot cheaper but the rpms were never an issue. I even ran them with both, a T-18 granny and a TH350... Now at one point, I even thought about going to a higher gear due to the fact that my Heep barely made it offroad.
As for the NV4500/ebay etc... I'm not a big fan of Ebay or anything that isn't local or relatively short in distance. lol

I've been looking on cl everyday for a motor and Transmission no luck yet but I'm trying to stay optimistic. As for the usage of my jeep, when I said 80% on road and 20% off I meant that because of how much I work getting to a trail will only happen when I get time. The jeep is not a daily driver so I still want to build a jeep more for off roading. I probably won't be on the highway much. So realistically I would use it 80/20 but still would build it 50/50 usage. On road to off road. Sorry for any confussion. Isn't the nv4500 a 200lb Transmission ? Pretty heavy compared to the th700 Transmission . Does the toughness of the 4500 make the weight worth it if I can find it?

I've been looking on cl everyday for a motor and Transmission no luck yet but I'm trying to stay optimistic. As for the usage of my jeep, when I said 80% on road and 20% off I meant that because of how much I work getting to a trail will only happen when I get time. The jeep is not a daily driver so I still want to build a jeep more for off roading. I probably won't be on the highway much. So realistically I would use it 80/20 but still would build it 50/50 usage. On road to off road. Sorry for any confussion. Isn't the nv4500 a 200lb Transmission ? Pretty heavy compared to the th700 Transmission . Does the toughness of the 4500 make the weight worth it if I can find it?

Yes it is around 200 lbs. The 700R4 is around 135. So it is some 65 ibs heavier.

But that weight is down low and will help to improve your COG. All things being equal.

Add a Transmission cooler and the lines and the weight (albeit slightly) becomes closer.

Plus I guarantee you will never break it.

Just ripped through cl looking for sbc and Transmission no luck. Man that nv4500 is awesome. I'd love to find one. Well I'd also love to find sbc350 to. Man this is going to be a looking and waiting game.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom