Cj5 -56 v8 swap

Cj5 -56 v8 swap

Norrland70

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Willys cj5 -56
Hi guys, so i got a stock cj CJ5 -56 and been thinking on a engine swap.
How much work is it, what do i have to do?. I also gonna put in powerbrakes and p-steering. Was thinking on a csb 305 and stock gearbox or a th350, what do you think? should i use a Tbi or carb?

Have a Nice one .

thats a popular swap. Check http://www.advanceadapters.com/ and Novak Jeep Conversions - Home for all the reading and parts you could want.

what will you be doing with the Jeep when its all done? that will help determine what induction you will want..
An auto tranny will have a tough time fitting in an early CJ like yours. Not enough room for a reasonable driveshaft length, and bad angles if you lift it at all.
I'm not sure what Transmission . you have now, but a SBC probably will be more power than it can handle. Read up on the sites I listed, and see what is available to you over there. Then let us know what you come up with!

ANd BTW, Welcome to the best CJ site on the 'Net!

Last edited:
A CJ5 is really short for an auto Transmission , a stick would give you more room for the rear driveshaft.
I went from a carb to tbi and it's a nite and day difference, I say tbi all the way.
For the swap advance adapters and novak will be your friends and have everything you need.

I will probebly most use it in the forrest and som mud meets, and also some trips to the local liquer store :D

Okey i read the novak site,Lots of info there, a Buick or Chevy v6 is probably the best choice considering to the weight. A chevy astro engine is pretty easy to come by in Sweden, but will that work? or is a Buick better?
The orginal T-90 , is that a god choise if i want to go with manual Transmission ?

I've read quite a few Astro van conversions, but personally never seen one.
I'd think your T-90 . while not the best choice in the world, would hold up to a mild V-6.
I know if you use a certain year's tubular header exhaust manifold, it will clear better than the other style (cast?). Sorry I can't remember what year exactly.

the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 is the shiznit, it is an excellent choice for a early jeep and has been developed to have high torque ratings. I would suggest the 231 if you are stating from scratch, then find a turbo 350 4x4 tranny as it has the short tail shaft et al. From there it is up to you about t case but truthfully if I was going that far I would go with an advanced adapters t case.

i agree i got a a 67 CJ5 with the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 in it my only thing if its before like 72' how the hell would you get a v-8 to fit without swapping the fenders and hood to make it fit? cuz i know my Dauntless Buick 225 V6 's cooling fan is about a 1/4 in from the radiator which is out as far as it will go.

A short water pump and a electric pusher fan will get the v8 in there with the short fenders.

i agree i got a a 67 CJ5 with the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 in it my only thing if its before like 72' how the hell would you get a v-8 to fit without swapping the fenders and hood to make it fit? cuz i know my Dauntless Buick 225 V6 's cooling fan is about a 1/4 in from the radiator which is out as far as it will go.

If they can stuff a Chevy V-8 under the hood of my old '47 CJ2a , I know that a V-6 will fit in a early CJ5 . Might be tight, but it can be done. :chug:

lol hes trying to put an v-8 in not a v-6 haha but as someone pointed out above it can be done without swapping fenders and a hood.

lol hes trying to put an v-8 in not a v-6 haha but as someone pointed out above it can be done without swapping fenders and a hood.

:censored::censored: I see 305 and all I can think of is my old '66 GMC 2 ton truck and its 305 V-6. Low compression, low HP, but man that thing would idle down to 300 RPMs! While operating a 4000 LB. capacity hydraulic swivel boom, no less!
I miss that truck. :( But I guarantee that V-6 would Never fit under any Cj's hood!

I noticed you mentioned that a T-90 would probably not be a good choice for a 305. That is what came with my project when I purchased it. Now I'm getting nervious, I was hoping to just rebuild my T-90 since I read it is such an easy tranny to rebuild. It ran pretty good when I got the rig, (around the neighborhood) but never truely tested the jeep in the woods. Can the T-90 be built up enough to handle the torque of the 305? Since I went so far as to tear my cj to nothing but the frame, I hate to spend the time working on the T-90 if it will fail me the first time out on the trail!

The T-90 will not hold up to V-8 power for long. My first Cj had a 327 chevy SB and a T-90 . I went thru 6 transmissions the first year. Not to mention 4 Dana 18 transfer cases (yes I abused the poor thing! what do you expect from a kid in High school :laugh:
look at AdvanceAdapters.com | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters or Novak Jeep Conversions - Home for good write-ups on your drivetrain choices.
And since we are on the subject...the 305 SBC ain't the greatest either. For the same install $$, a 350 will do you a lot better in every regard. I mean, if you already have it, sure, use it. But I wouldn't sink any real money into it, myself.

I'd heard that the 305 wasn't a prefered choice, especially when you can pick up a 350 fairly cheap these days, but It came with the jeep and it ran great when I bought it. Hoping to fix it up a little, and use it for a couple years until I purchased everything else I need to get this thing on the trail. Thanks for your input on the T-90 . Looks like I have yet another item to purchase, that wasn't on my initial list! I really wanted to keep the T-90 because I'm in the middle of rebuilding an old ramsey PTO winch that I'd planned on mounting to the rear. If I keep the 305 setup in the jeep now, and replace it with a 350 later, will it bolt right in on the same 305 motor mounts and such, or would it include making same other major mods to fit it in?

Last edited:
Pardon my bonehead question. I did some research and found out the 305 and 350 are almost identical with the exception of bigger heads and larger bore. Still knew to the SBC's! (and everything else I've been doing mechanically) I also got on those links you sent me. Very helpful! Don't really know what I'm doing but having a blast!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom