CJ5 Bumper Gussets?

CJ5 Bumper Gussets?

mhubacek

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
WR450F, 68' CJ-5, 72' CJ-5, F250 POWERSTROKE
Pevious owner did some questionable modifications to the front of my 72' CJ5 frame. I've been searching for Bumper Gussets to be able to mount a front bumper more securely, but have only found bumper gussets for early MB's and CJ2 's and 3's. Do they exist for my year CJ, or am I going about this the wrong way? :dunno: I found I guy to do some welding work on the front of my frame on Thursday, so I'm trying to find the best way to get this issue fixed correctly. He's also going to remove those spring hangers and do it right! My little flux core welder isn't up for the task, and my welding skills aren't there yet either. In the pic you can see a plate welded to the frame. I'm nervous to see what is under it, but I think I need to remove it and find out. In the pic you can see that the bumper is not bolted to the bottom of the frame. Doesn't look very secure.

Last edited:
Not sure about aftermarket gussets - I would imagine you can get some made pretty cheaply.

Glad to hear your getting those hangers replaced! :)

CJ, do you have a pic of the front of your 72' CJ frame? The frame on my 68' looks alot different then my 72'. With all the cutting the PO did, I'm not sure what it was supposed to look like. The front clip of my 72' is also longer then my 68' front clip. The title says 72'. I thought the front clip was the same until 75. If you don't have a pic available, do you have a measurement of the front frame rail from the front of the spring hanger to end of front frame rail?

CJ, do you have a pic of the front of your 72' CJ frame? The frame on my 68' looks alot different then my 72'. With all the cutting the PO did, I'm not sure what it was supposed to look like. The front clip of my 72' is also longer then my 68' front clip. The title says 72'. I thought the front clip was the same until 75. If you don't have a pic available, do you have a measurement of the front frame rail from the front of the spring hanger to end of front frame rail?

Here are pics of the front frame & spring mounts on my 66 CJ5 . Hope they help. The spring hanger is 2.5" from the front of the frame rail.
The first two are the outside of the left side rail (drivers side).
The others are the inside of the right side rail (pas. side)
DSCF1170.jpg
DSCF1171.jpg
DSCF1172.jpg
DSCF1173.jpg

CJ, do you have a pic of the front of your 72' CJ frame?
Not sure how much of the frame you want a shot of. Is this enough or do you want other images? Disregard the PO goober welds... I wasn't in the mood to grind them down before powder coating the frame (they have help for 30 + years)... :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

CJ, Thank you, those pics will help me greatly. My 72' frame is cut like your 72' in the front. I thought maybe it was supposed to look like the 68' where the width of the frame rail gets taller at the front where the bumper mounts. Right now, my bumper is taller then the frame rails, and there is about a 3/4" gap between my frame rail and bumper where it mounts. Did you eventually add some sort of crossmember to the front of your frame, or weld a piece of square tubing up front for strength in mounting your bumper?
I'm pulling my bumper and fenders off as soon as I get off work, so I'll take detailed close up pics.

I just bolted the bumper to the frame - nothing special. If you have a large gap - sounds like your bumper is fro the wrong year as mine fits tightly to the frame.

After removing fenders and bumper, it's alot uglier then originally thought! Notice how the frame rail is narrower at the front. I think the PO added this section on. Any ideas on how to fix this mess? :confused:

I'm a little late on this one, but here is a link to pics of my bumper build, with massive gusseting and reinforcing.
Front Bumper pictures by packrat169 - Photobucket
Take a look, it might give you an idea how to make the bumper stronger than the frame.
This is a pic of how I reinforced the bumper to the frame..The grey part is 3/16" gussets on the outside of the frame.
CJshackleconversion001.jpg

My work computer won't allow me on to photo bucket, I guess they want me working or something:D I'll check those pics out when I get home. I guy is coming over tomarrow to give me some suggestions as well, and offer me a quote on the work to be done. Your pics will help me explain to him what exactly what I'm looking for. He's also bringing me a DIY tube fender kit for $200.

Met with that guy yesturday. Looks like I'll be having about a foot of the front of the frame cut back and replaced with new frame rails, new yj spring hangers front and rear, new shock perches front and rear, new shackles, winch plate, new leaf springs mounted, (yj 2" lift springs) for $800. The only extra expense's on my part are the leaf springs and U-Bolts. Everything else is included and installed for the $800. Sound like a good deal? I thought it was, since He's also going to pick it up for me and once the work is complete I should be able to drive it home. I also purchased a high hood tube fender kit for $350(DIY) I will be picking it up next wednesday. :D It does require some cutting to the hood, but provides an extra 3" for tire clearance. There was a post on here awhile ago about tube fenders, The picture I sent then is just a red X now. I'll send you pictures of the high hood tube fenders when I get them.

Last edited:
Pics of High Hood Tube fenders being made to fit my 72' CJ5
Pictures linked to your home PC or 'weird' accounts will not show up (except for you)...

You have to either 'attach' the pics or link them to an off site web account. The easiest way to post pics is to use our free gallery... :)

Roger that, CJ. I attatched a pic after loading it to my gallery, of my new tube fenders for my 72' CJ5 . It's a DIY kit, being custom made to fit my application.

I'll send pics next week when I pick it up. Since it's a D.I.Y. Kit, It obviousley requires me to weld it together, so I'll take pics from start to finish.

These were the ones I wanted you to post about when you talked about them before , yes? I hope they look like ( or better than ) the Tj ones. :drool: Dying to see them built.
Roger that, CJ. I attatched a pic after loading it to my gallery, of my new tube fenders for my 72' CJ5 . It's a DIY kit, being custom made to fit my application.

I'll send pics next week when I pick it up. Since it's a D.I.Y. Kit, It obviousley requires me to weld it together, so I'll take pics from start to finish.

Petescj, yes those are the same ones, it just took me awhile to get to that point. They are already purchased, and being cut over the next few days. They said probably tuesday. I sent back with him one of my old fenders to use as a template. As long as I don't screw up the welding part, they should look great! I purchased things from him before, and haven't been let down yet.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom