CJ5-CJ7 body swap

CJ5-CJ7 body swap
Thanks
I have a 79' CJ5 and the body is rusted out. I want to just get a new body for it. I found a guy with a CJ7 body in great condition and he wants next to nothing for it. Will a CJ7 body fit on a CJ5 frame? Will the frame have to be lengthened and modified?

They arent interchangeable. The CJ7 is longer and has a longer wheelbase. There would be quite a bit of work involved to make the tub fit and get it all working. Hold out for a good CJ5 tub. You'll spend more money trying to modify everything to get the CJ7 tub to work.

The CJ7 body is longer than the CJ5 and you would have to either stretch the frame or cut the tub down.

On the frame it need to be done somewhere around where the door opening.
If you cut the tub it needs to be done just behind the Transmission hump there is a extra metal there that the CJ5 doesn't have.

It might be better to find a CJ5 tub and do the swap.

I have been looking at doing this myself to a YJ tub.

However, making the 5 to a 7 or the 7 to fit a 5, the jeep gods will be very very angry.

and 5's are way cooler than 7". ( god, am I ever going to catch it for that remark)
It will be worth the hunt or the time spent putting fresh pannels on the old tub. remember; there is rusted out and then there is rusted out. It will be much easier to do patch pannels than to strech a frame and as long as you have something that still looks like a CJ5 tub , you are in business.:cool:

CJ5 's are far cooler looking and wont be misstaken for a wrangler by the neophites.

This just in , Your both correct. :D
and 5's are way cooler than 7". ( god, am I ever going to catch it for that remark)
It will be worth the hunt or the time spent putting fresh pannels on the old tub. remember; there is rusted out and then there is rusted out. It will be much easier to do patch pannels than to strech a frame and as long as you have something that still looks like a CJ5 tub , you are in business.:cool:

CJ5 's are far cooler looking and wont be misstaken for a wrangler by the neophites.

HOLD OUT FOR A CJ6 , and be the envy of the entire CJ crowd

HOLD OUT FOR A CJ6 , and be the envy of the entire CJ crowd
He is right, but do you really want to wait that long??
I have never even seen a CJ6 in person.:cool:
I would recommend you work on the 5 until one comes available.:laugh:

I agree with Baja, wait for a "6" and be cool really cool. IO when I'm finished with mine, I'll drive up to Dallas and give you a chance to see a "6" in person. Thats just something you need to do at least once in a lifetime....haha

I agree with Baja, wait for a "6" and be cool really cool. IO when I'm finished with mine, I'll drive up to Dallas and give you a chance to see a "6" in person. Thats just something you need to do at least once in a lifetime....haha

Oh lord, if just once before I die.....:laugh:

I get people walk up to me all the time in parking lots, and even on trail asking, "Is that a CJ6 ? I have only read about them, how cool I have to tell my friends I saw one." and mine is original paint with spots of primer. I have often asked the wife if we want to paint it and she tells me it is just to cool to have the original paint on it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom