CJ5 F134 Engine Rebuild

CJ5 F134 Engine Rebuild

crscrkcj

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ5 - Kaiser
Just got my CJ back from engine re-builder. Great job, runs good, quiet, smooth, just a little oil smoke which I would expect. For an engine with zero miles it pulls great and has more torque than a team of 20 mules.

I'll post some pics of the engine when it stops raining.

Glad to hear that! What gear ratio you running in the 134 powered CJ?

I believe they are 4.27. Anyway, it runs like it's a real stump puller. Don't think I'll have much trouble in the Tennessee woods. On the highway that may be a different story. Limited driving suggest that it will cruise great in the 40's mph. Much above that may be a strain.

I believe they are 4.27. Anyway, it runs like it's a real stump puller. Don't think I'll have much trouble in the Tennessee woods. On the highway that may be a different story. Limited driving suggest that it will cruise great in the 40's mph. Much above that may be a strain.
I figured they were pretty high - they didn't mess around back then and geared for the intended purpose - going ANYWHERE!!!! :)

they went all the way up to the 5.38 range from the factory. sump pullers, but no road speed to speak of, I would guess 14 to 20 on the pressure.

Based on mechanical oil pressure gauge the idle press is 45 psi and the 2000 rpm press is 80 psi. That seams high to me but it should be real. The way the rod and main bearings were custom fit to each journal, maybe that is what I should expect. Anyone ever had any experience like this?

BTW, here are the pics of the newly rebuilt F134 Hurricane . red and black, well it should be all black I think. But looks good anyway.

Last edited:
The engine in my 65 CJ5 is in need of some tlc. I am getting a lot of advice from friends to upgrade to something with more hp but I would like to keep it original. I think I would like to just get the f-134 in it rebuilt. I have seen kits with all the parts needed, but i think the scope of the job is a little over my head. What is the ball park on getting that done if the block in in good shape?

The total including removal and replacement for mine was $1800. Complete prof engine rebuild. It turns out after much trouble shooting that the high oil pressure was due to stuck relief valve in new pump. Replaced that and pressure is rock solid at 45a lbs. Also replaced guage.
Re: rebuild of engine, don't cut corners or go cheap. I'm very satisfied w my F134 Hurricane . After all they were made for war.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom