cj7 UGH

cj7 UGH

CoreyYoungCj577

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj7 232 inline 6,Dana 20 Tc,T-150 Trans, stock diffs.
So thanks to coldwaters wonderful advice i found out i have a CJ7 which is good cause im finding alot more stuff for but being i have a CJ7 with a 3 speed Transmission is it still a T-150 Transmission ? and what other tranny and Transfer Case are adaptable without changing the drive shaft nad short shaft??

You will almost always have to change drive shafts when you change Transmission / transfer cases... Why would you want to change what you have? Is it broken?

BTW - I'm a little confused about why you thought you had a CJ5 . I posted pics of a CJ5 and a CJ7 in this thread-->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/question-how-tell-if-its-cj5-cj7-2202/ when you asked what the difference was.

If you slow the hell down, read and absorb what people are telling you without diving in head first on your Jeep you will be way ahead of the game. Your going to end up costing yourself a lot of money and wasted time if you keep jumping from one project to another.

Your going get frustrated and then your going to get down about your Jeep by doing what your doing... :(

You will almost always have to change drive shafts when you change Transmission / transfer cases... Why would you want to change what you have? Is it broken?

BTW - I'm a little confused about why you thought you had a CJ5 . I posted pics of a CJ5 and a CJ7 in this thread-->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/question-how-tell-if-its-cj5-cj7-2202/ when you asked what the difference was.

If you slow the hell down, read and absorb what people are telling you without diving in head first on your Jeep you will be way ahead of the game. Your going to end up costing yourself a lot of money and wasted time if you keep jumping from one project to another.

Your going get frustrated and then your going to get down about your Jeep by doing what your doing... :(

Im sorry Cj your right i do need to slow down and take it easy and i guess i wasnt paying attention and im not going to worry about the tranny im gonna worry about the engine running and the body tub my biggest concerns thank you cj for the advice and i apologize

Im sorry Cj your right i do need to slow down and take it easy and i guess i wasnt paying attention and im not going to worry about the tranny im gonna worry about the engine running and the body tub my biggest concerns thank you cj for the advice and i apologize
No reason what so ever to apologize... :) This was not a shot at you but just some advice from someone who has see this over and over and over...

I just don't want to see you get frustrated and discouraged. We see this all the time - new owners want to change every thing and anything all at once, then the get down and just get tired of not having a running vehicle.

Work on what you need to - get it going - use it and have fun with it - once you see what the CJ's inadequacies are - make a game plan and then follow it...:)

The KEY thing in the picture is to DRIVE it and have fun. If you try and rebuild and change everything first - you'll never be in the mud! :)

No reason what so ever to apologize... :) This was not a shot at you but just some advice from someone who has see this over and over and over...

I just don't want to see you get frustrated and discouraged. We see this all the time - new owners want to change every thing and anything all at once, then the get down and just get tired of not having a running vehicle.

Work on what you need to - get it going - use it and have fun with it - once you see what the CJ's inadequacies are - make a game plan and then follow it...:)

The KEY thing in the picture is to DRIVE it and have fun. If you try and rebuild and change everything first - you'll never be in the mud! :)

Thank you for the advice yet again and im going to TDC in about an hour and check everything related to that area and if its none of those im going to call carquest and get me a new a timing chain to install over the weekend and then it should be running if not then there is other problems to try and get at but a good deal i just found a soft top and wheels and tires for this and im hoping to get them for around 200 which would be good but that wont be till next month.

my question would be "what are the bobdy tub and parts jeeps you were talking about ?"

my question would be "what are the bobdy tub and parts jeeps you were talking about ?"

Well the parts jeeps i had found were two 76-78 cj5s and they didnt run and the guy wanted 2200 dollars and i scraped that idea and now since its a CJ7 i found a few other body tubs for alot cheaper so im hopefully going to get one of those body tubs and work with that i think if i get some more down time im gonna take off my old body tub and start checking the frame for rust and get the frame ready to go. after the timing chain of course because i checked TDC and the rotor is pointing in between the two spots by the one cylinder and what ever else so it looks to be like the timing chain is off a tooth i think ha

any idea how many miles this thing has on it??

did you have a spark at the plug?

Last edited:
If you are changing body tubs and want one that will less likely rust then for pretty much the same price get a YJ tub (used). other than welding a few body mounts and putting the dash in it is a pretty simple swap seeing as you will have to rewire (dash) anyways. Just an option.

any idea how many miles this thing has on it??

did you have a spark at the plug?

It has around 117xxx im guessing cause the odometer reads 1708 so and it does i mean it still turns over and if i dump gas down the carb it will run but it shakes like a sob and the carb has no response to the throttle but im getting a new carter carb for free so woo! but basically it runs like its missing horribly. do you think it fouled all the new spark plugs? and if it did how would i fix that?

best way to find if the plugs are fouled is to pull them.

there are two things that will cause an engine not to run. 1) no gas and 2) no spark. you seem to be getting spark or it would not run when you primed it. what happened to the fuel ?? :popcorn:

there are two things that will cause an engine not to run. 1) no gas and 2) no spark. you seem to be getting spark or it would not run when you primed it. what happened to the fuel ?? :popcorn:
well ive replaced every rubber fuel line on the engine the only thing i havent replaced is fuel filter which i have and anything to do with the gas tank and fuel lines i could always check if fuels getting there

I should have seen that it was a 7. It just went right over my head when I was looking at your pictures. Man I feel dumb.

I am glad that you did find out what it was before you bought parts for the tub. I think that looking into the YJ is a good Idea. I know that there are a couple of guys on here have done this.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom