CJ7 Windshield frame brackets bolts troubles

CJ7 Windshield frame brackets bolts troubles

76cj7chick

Old Time Jeeper
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter.
Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p
I'm trying to get my CJ7 into a daily driver but am having trouble with getting bolts off..
In particular is on the windshield frame/ brackets. Also, the threads for the tub are gone and the po used nuts on the back of the bolts..
I need help!

1. Can I buy thread (thingys:confused:) so I don't have to use a nut on the back? --I don't have a welder so any help other than welding would be awesome)

2. Is the frame salvageable? I can't remove some of the bolts, the po may have put a nut on the back but I don't know how to get to it.. Any suggestions? Should I get another frame or can this one be saved?

Please help me ! Save my jeep.....:dunno:

They came from the factory with nuts on the back side of the body.

If you can't use torch or welder you are going to use a drill. Drill the center out.Be careful after drilling retap hole. It will work.;)

What I'm seeing looks really good, and yes they came with nuts on the body side. The windsheild frame is were they did use threaded inserts so if this is your trouble spot and unable to remove the screw then I would drill out incrementaly in drill bit sizes to get to a point were a tap will clear the remaining screw bits out.

Be careful drilling those bolts out outherwise you'll wind up like me.

Be careful drilling those bolts out outherwise you'll wind up like me.

Thank goodness the photo is blurry, that looks nasty!

I would soak those bolts in acetone and ATF for a couple of days and then see if I could back them out. one good thing, you can put it on from the inside.:D drilling is my last resort.

Did you actually break a hinge??:confused:

Tough call without welding involved. Do you know anyone or place that would weld for you? The easiest would be to cut an access hole (rectangular) in the bottom, then weld it shut with a plate.

Drilling that small of a bolt is sometimes difficult to get the centerpoint started and as you increase the drill size you have to be careful not to bogger up the threads in the windshield. It's just a tab of metal spotwelded fast (like a lot of Jeep body connections) and if you had to tap the hole bigger you may have a hard time finding tapered allen (or Torx) head bolts slightly larger that still fit the taper of the holes in the hinge.

Try soaking the bolt good, then heat it with a torch, then quickly cool it with more liquid wrench, S'ok, PB, or whatever your using to soak it with. Then heat it again and grab it tightly with some vise-grips.
Penetrants and heat or a combination of the two will usually free most bolts. Sometimes it needs multiple heating and cooling to break the rust and let the liquid penetrate between.

I know you say you don't have a welder but that would be your easiest way to get those bolt out. You can weld another bolt to the original which will give you a good head to turn and the concentrated heat will help break the bolt free. Find a local jeep pal and see if they can weld it for you.

And heres one that I had patched

54fd7c17.jpg
805a7765.jpg

I had an old yj with a similar prob. I used a set of left handed (no kidding) drill bits. As you drill, the bits will eventually back the bolts out. I use them all the time.

I would soak those bolts in acetone and ATF for a couple of days and then see if I could back them out. one good thing, you can put it on from the inside.:D drilling is my last resort.

Did you actually break a hinge??:confused:

Yes, the hinge is broke but not originally from me. when i bought the jeep the pass windshield hinge was severed in the middle. I just finished it off. :rolleyes:

I had an old yj with a similar prob. I used a set of left handed (no kidding) drill bits. As you drill, the bits will eventually back the bolts out. I use them all the time.

I know what you mean.. The "easy outs".. Some times they get stuck too. :rolleyes:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom