Clutch Adjuster

Clutch Adjuster

larry83

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1996 Jeep ZJ, 1979 CJ5 with a 258 engine, 3 speed transmission.
So after work the other day I went out to start my CJ5 and my clutch pedal went to the floor with no resistance. After looking around I noticed that the clutch adjuster fell out. Has this happened to anyone else and any opinions on how I can keep this from happening again?

There is supposed to be a spring that holds it in there. Did the spring fall out also?

There should be a nut behind your adjustable fitting on the end of the shaft that keeps it from loosening up. Make sure that it's there and cinched up to the back of the fitting.

did the ball fall out of the socket??
If you get a replacement shaft it will last for another 15 or 20 years.:D

So after work the other day I went out to start my CJ5 and my clutch pedal went to the floor with no resistance. After looking around I noticed that the clutch adjuster fell out. Has this happened to anyone else and any opinions on how I can keep this from happening again?

did the ball fall out of the socket??
If you get a replacement shaft it will last for another 15 or 20 years.:D

I put the adjuster back in and tightened screws down so it works for now. As for the spring good not find one so may have to go to a junk yard and find one.

Here soon instead of replacing shaft my do the chain kit.

chain kit??:wtf:

I put the adjuster back in and tightened screws down so it works for now. As for the spring good not find one so may have to go to a junk yard and find one.

Here soon instead of replacing shaft my do the chain kit.

chain kit??:wtf:

Chain kit?

Anyhow keep in mind that your engine mounts play a roll in this, if the engine can move around too much the bellcrank may come apart.

That is for an earlier Jeep than yours. Rebuild/replace what you have and as said make sure your motor mounts are not gone and it will suffice.
You can upgrade the pedal rod with a heim joint set up but not totaly nessesary.

you do not have a cable operated clutch.:cool:

A hydraulic conversion is also a good option.

I would suspect broken motor mount(s) as well. Or worn bell crank bushings.

That is for an earlier Jeep than yours. Rebuild/replace what you have and as said make sure your motor mounts are not gone and it will suffice.
You can upgrade the pedal rod with a heim joint set up but not totaly nessesary.
x2 my clutch went out last mid summer it was toast. Apoun closer inspection I found the motor mounts were toast and the Transmission mount was flatten out. I replaced the clutch and mounts, and all is well.:)

got a body lift on it? that will also clutch issues. but I think that its more of a Z-bar issue then the rod falling out

when you say "fell out" , did it land on the ground? or did it just swing from the bell crank??:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom