Clutch Help?

Clutch Help?

clively

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-5, Red w/Blue striped, RENEGADE, 4 speed, with 258 6cyl engine.
I recently bought a 1980 CJ5 & am replacing all the fluids. It is driveable but a question I have is when I push in the clutch, it only returns a few inches. I haven't checked the fluid in the 4 speed Transmission or Transfer Case , that should be done tomorrow but while I'm there I'd like to look for anything ya'll could recommend to clear up the clutch issue (if this isn't normal)!

Sounds like you need to adjust the clutch. You need one to 1.25 inches of free play on the clutch pedal. Adjust it by adjusting part 4. It screws onto part 2.
Jeep-CJ5-CJ7-CJ8-Scrambler-Clutch-Linkage-Components-Parts-Diagram.png

Also make sure part 1 is greased. It has a Zerk fitting.

Sounds like you need to adjust the clutch. You need one to 1.25 inches of free play on the clutch pedal. Adjust it by adjusting part 4. It screws onto part 2.
Jeep-CJ5-CJ7-CJ8-Scrambler-Clutch-Linkage-Components-Parts-Diagram.png

Also make sure part 1 is greased. It has a Zerk fitting.
And make sure you have the spring #6 hooked up that helps bring the pedal back up.

Thank you very much! That is exactly the type of explanation I was hoping for since I can't even understand a "Jeep for Dummy's" book since I am mechanically inclined as a box of rocks. I am waiting for my friend to wake up so I can go work on it in his heated garage. He is pretty snappy with mechanical things. Have a great day!

There should be a return spring on the clutch pedal as well... looks like p/n 25 from the illustration..... If there is not a spring and after the clutch is adjusted you are un-satisfied with the return,... go ahead and add one on. This will ensure the pedal goes to the top every time. Use caution not to over adjust the clutch or you will wipe the through out bearing in no time.

Use caution not to over adjust the clutch or you will wipe the through out bearing in no time.

:agree:

1" - 1.25" free play (as Dave said) from clutch pedal fully unpressed (resting) until you feel resistance on the pedal.

That's the ticket for no fried bearings :D

:chug:
Jr

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom