clutch issues

clutch issues

archer2147

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ5, AMC 304, Apache 35's, all fiberglass tub, newer everything, just a couple bugs in every system
Now im a fairly mechanically inclined, but not so much with transmissions....
I was driving my 75 CJ5 , then the clutch pedal just goes to the floor and stays there. Now i have a couple ideas on what to look at; fluids, etc, but before I spend my day fumbling around, maybe you all have some suggestions on where i could start, what problems i may have, something to give me an idea on whats going on. Thanks in advance

Do you still have the linkage style? My 74 does with AMC 304 ...

I would guess your linkage rod may be worn or something popped off somewhere...

Take a look under the jeep from where the bar goes through the firewall down, L's towards the drivetrain, and back towards the clutch fork.

Hopefully it is something easy like that, and you don't need to get into the bell housing.

Was it doing anything weird before this?

Could also be a broke return spring somewhere... ??
:chug:
~ JR

Last edited:
Sounds like the rod going to the clutch fork came out of its pocket. Usually happens when the return spring breaks or comes off. My '81 has linkage to, not hydraulic. You may have to adjust the linkage to take up the slack if the spring came loose instead of breaking. Should not be hard to find the problem. Follow the linkage from the clutch fork back to the pedal. If the rod does need a good bit of adjustment, it may be a sign that the clutch disc is wearing out.

Tommy

that was exactly it tommy, the spring broke off, popping it out of the linkage, is that a specific spring? or can i get it anywhere?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom