clutch linkage keeps coming loose

clutch linkage keeps coming loose

cyberworm

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 258 I6 Carter 2BBL. 33" Hercules Trail Digger M/T 6" spring lift D300/T15. Aluminum Valve Cover.
Hey all. I've been working out some issues with my new (to me) 84 CJ7 . Outside of some other problems, one new one that sprang up, is that I lost the clutch while driving. Fortunately I'm fairly smart, and climbed up under her to find the problem. It's the linkage where the pedal rotates a bar, and pushes in a plate outside of the Transmission . There's a threaded bolt that is adjustable, with a round end that basically sits against a tab. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.

The problem is, that I've adjusted it (I'm still figuring out how to get it adjusted to where I like it/am comfortable) but it still seems to work itself loose, and doesn't seem like it's going to stay locked in. Has anyone else had this issue, and found a good solution to keep it from coming loose?

Two things where you adjust it does it have a lock nut? And do you have a spring going from the two keep it tight?

Ok, there's a nut going from what I'm going to call the arm (away from the tranny). In the middle is a long threaded bolt, that does not have a thread in the middle (so that nut could not ever go past a certain point). On the other end, is like an adjustment nut that is fairly long (for adjusting the throw) with a rounded end that goes into the mentioned plate. I guess that was the long answer saying "no, I don't recall any locking nut per se." There's definitely no spring. It just loosens up and falls out. Not good at speed, that's for sure.

You should have a rod that is threaded then on the threaded part is where you adjust it and then a nut that is a lock nut that you tighten down aganced it .

Yeah, that's what I have, but the lock nut is on the opposite end of the threaded rod. Not really sure that it's even a locking nut. What's all this you say about a spring?

You need to run that nut down to other side and tighten that what keeps it from moving.

Do you have a body lift.. of so the problem is you Z-Bar (actual name of the part) is jacked at an angle and is popping loose. you can buy or fab a relocation bracket to get it even again and lengthen the rod that pushes on the Z-bar to keep it from happening.

Nope. No body lift, just a suspension lift. There's a little play in it right now (still haven't adjusted it to where I want it), but tightening up that nut helped a lot and it hasn't happened since.

There's a little play in it right now (still haven't adjusted it to where I want it)

Should have 1" free play in the pedal...

According to FSM :cool:

:chug:
~ JR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom