Correct Clutch Pedal Travel Specification?

Correct Clutch Pedal Travel Specification?

lrentz

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ-7
My newly acquired 78 CJ7 clutch pedal engages at the top of the pedal. I only have to press down like 2 inches to change gears. There is no free play at the top. I do not have any chatter or slippage at all. I think that I just need to adjust the clutch pedal. What is the correct distance for the pedal to travel when it pushed before it engages and the best way to adjust it. Or, does that mean it is adjusted all the way out because the clutch needs to be replaced?

Thanks,
lrentz

Adjust the clutch, 1.25" - 1.5" of free play. Hold a ruler to the fire wall and rest it on the pedal. Push the clutch in by your two fingers to measure the distance. Been doing this since 1975ish and it works fine.

Rollbar,
I have a 79 cj. pedal does not return up. Am I missing a spring that keeps it up? When I can put my foot under the pedal and raise it but it falls back down. Thanks

My newly acquired 78 CJ7 clutch pedal engages at the top of the pedal. I only have to press down like 2 inches to change gears. There is no free play at the top. I do not have any chatter or slippage at all. I think that I just need to adjust the clutch pedal. What is the correct distance for the pedal to travel when it pushed before it engages and the best way to adjust it. Or, does that mean it is adjusted all the way out because the clutch needs to be replaced?

Thanks,
lrentz

Mine is the same and I have about 1 1/2 in free play.Like to get the clutch to engage close to half way out instead of 3/4 out.

That is correct, you want some play at the top so the clutch fully seats against the flywheel. If not, then it can slip if to tight and you might not even realize it until it needs replacing. 1-1/2" is standard. I like to go with 1 1/2".

Rollbar,
I have a 79 cj. pedal does not return up. Am I missing a spring that keeps it up? When I can put my foot under the pedal and raise it but it falls back down. Thanks

Yep theirs a spring up near the top of the pedal and it is quite possibly the single hardest item to replace on a CJ. :eek:
At least it gave me fits but maybe you will have beter luck.

You should have just over an inch of free play to the pedal.
Jeep-CJ5-CJ7-CJ8-Scrambler-Clutch-Linkage-Components-Parts-Diagram.png

First check over your clutch linkages to make sure something isn't out of place. The clutch fork (part 3) pivots on a ball. To adjust the clutch pedal travel you need to screw in part 4 and 2 to make that assembly shorter.

How do I adjust the clutch?

How do I adjust the clutch?
What you want to do is adjust the linkage so that the clutch pedal has about 1 to 1.25 inches of travel before is starts to press on the clutch pressure plate. If you have more or less free play then you need to crawl under the jeep. Near the left side of the bell-housing you will see the linkage parts numbered 2 and 4 I have pictured in my post above. Parts 2 and 4 are screwed together. If you have too much free play in your clutch pedal then loosen the lock nut and unscrew part 4 from part 2. If you don't have enough free play then screw part 4 into part 2.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom