Cracked bellhousing

Cracked bellhousing
I'm really not sure how it cracked, but it's all the way across the middle. When the clutch is depressed, it opens up at the crack almost 3/8 of an inch! While driving, the wheel fell off on me twice, wheel, tire, axle shaft and all. So maybe when the back end hit the pavement both times, it formed a crack, then over a little time it just cracked all the way. It took me a week to find the wheel, tire and axle shaft the first time it flew off!!
I let some jack-leg fix it the first time, two days later it flew off again. I found a guy who had the wide track complete rear end locally, and I had a real mechanic install that.

What's at either end of the "crack".:confused:
Like start & end.;)

I am dealing with kind of the same thing. My bellhousing broke where the clutch linkage mounts to the bellhousing. It just broke off when I was driving down the road. Yeah that really sucked by the way, no clutch and all. It took three of us to finally winch her up on the trailer after that. Still in the process of piecing her back together. Never pulled a tranny before so I'm taking my time.

I am dealing with kind of the same thing. My bellhousing broke where the clutch linkage mounts to the bellhousing. It just broke off when I was driving down the road. Yeah that really sucked by the way, no clutch and all. It took three of us to finally winch her up on the trailer after that. Still in the process of piecing her back together. Never pulled a tranny before so I'm taking my time.

your talking about where the pitman arm comes across from the frame rail to the side of the bell housing???:dunno:

can you send pictures?:cool:

If your pitman arm is anywhere near your bellhousing you got problems . I think he means the bellcrank that connects to the clutchrod.
your talking about where the pitman arm comes across from the frame rail to the side of the bell housing???:dunno:

can you send pictures?:cool:

Attachments

• bellcrank.jpg
    bellcrank.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 262
If your pitman arm is anywhere near your bellhousing you got problems . I think he means the bellcrank that connects to the clutchrod.

yea, what pete said.

yeah its right where the bellcrank mounts to the bellhousing that broke. I have already taken the linkage down so I can't get any pictures of what it looked like when it broke, but i will try to get some pictures before i go much further. I have been looking for a better jack or even a tranny jack if possible, but no luck so far.

yeah its right where the bellcrank mounts to the bellhousing that broke. I have already taken the linkage down so I can't get any pictures of what it looked like when it broke, but i will try to get some pictures before i go much further. I have been looking for a better jack or even a tranny jack if possible, but no luck so far.

But you can take pictures of where the bell housing is broken, macro shots would be best.:cool:
I think I would take a look at the motor mounts and transmision mount while I was down there.:)

Yep, craziness. Left home, bout two miles away I felt somethin' strange happenin' in the *** end of the Jeep, looked in the rearview and my wheel, tire, shaft and all shot across the road. Sparks a flyin' like the 4th of July, my youngin' was lookin' at me like dad whats happenin'??????!?!? Amazingly, the Jeep handled well and we simply eased off the side of the road. I had four people looking for two hours and no wheel... I went out there the next day and looked everywhere for another two hours, no luck. A few of my friends went out on their own for the next couple of days and looked many times, no luck. Finally, after damn near a week, I was determined to find it and I went about 250 yards on the other side of the road in the woods and happened upon it tucked under some under-brush and lodged between to limbs!!
Yeah, that sucked. Got a little mom and pop place to "fix" it, three days later, it flew off again, this time it was during the day and I was able to watch it roll in a field about 325 yards! WOW! So, finally I had someone put a new wide track rear end assembly on it and haven't had any more episodes like that. A Jeep story I'll remember!

Yep, craziness. Left home, bout two miles away I felt somethin' strange happenin' in the behind end of the Jeep, looked in the rearview and my wheel, tire, shaft and all shot across the road. Sparks a flyin' like the 4th of July, my youngin' was lookin' at me like dad whats happenin'??????!?!? Amazingly, the Jeep handled well and we simply eased off the side of the road. I had four people looking for two hours and no wheel... I went out there the next day and looked everywhere for another two hours, no luck. A few of my friends went out on their own for the next couple of days and looked many times, no luck. Finally, after damn near a week, I was determined to find it and I went about 250 yards on the other side of the road in the woods and happened upon it tucked under some under-brush and lodged between to limbs!!
Yeah, that sucked. Got a little mom and pop place to "fix" it, three days later, it flew off again, this time it was during the day and I was able to watch it roll in a field about 325 yards! WOW! So, finally I had someone put a new wide track rear end assembly on it and haven't had any more episodes like that. A Jeep story I'll remember!

You didn't mention, but I have to assume that the differential in question
would be none other than the AMC model 20.:rolleyes:

I converted mine to the 81'-86'CJ hydraulic clutch setup.;)

You didn't mention, but I have to assume that the differential in question
would be none other than the AMC model 20.:rolleyes:

Hmmm. not too sure honestly, I'm pretty sure it's the original.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom