Cracked frame?

Cracked frame?

ken98k

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
{1980 cj-5, 258, t-176, d300 amc20 rear, D30}{1974 cj-5, 304, T-15, D20, D30 front, D44 rear}{1973 cj-5, 304, t-98,D20, amc20, D30}
{1990 yj 2.5L i-4 AX-5 NP231 Dana 30 front Dana 35c rear}
1996 XJ Cherokee 4.0 HO
{2000 silverado}
{1979 Cadillac Sedan DeVille}
Several people have told me that I should check for cracks on the frame of my new CJ5 .

Are there certain spots I should check where these frames tend to crack?

Most of the cracks I have found were located right on the front shock mounts and by the rear shackle mounts. The rear shock mounts are also the biggest issue for rust.

Another spot you should look at would be where the steering box mounts to the frame. Thats often a trouble spot on Cjs. That being said you really should go over the "whole frame". These Jeeps are almost 30 yrs old or older now. Best bet is to really give the Cj a good look everywhere. ;)

a hammer or anything to hit it with. Listen for differences in the sound of the hit. If you hear the metal ping, that is a good sign. If it goes through, that is a bad sign :D

at first I thought you had misspelled "thunk". but your right about that one.:cool:

a hammer or anything to hit it with. Listen for differences in the sound of the hit. If you hear the metal ping, that is a good sign. If it goes through, that is a bad sign :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom