Crankshaft Pulley Rubbing?

Crankshaft Pulley Rubbing?

Eli

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7
Ok So just bought a 80 CJ7 and very happy with the condition of the whole thing except I noticed a grinding noise at times and asked a couple of mechanics to take a look at it with me. It has been a few years since I have had an old car and even then I never really worked on the inside of the engines so any help here would be great.
We narrowed it down to the inside pulley is rubbing up against the engine. One mechanic told me we had to rebuild the whole motor. Another mechanic said we should be able to just replace the wheel because the rubber gasket is missing. Well that seems cheaper but does not sound like it will fix the problem. So now I will have rubber rubbing against the motor, well at least until the rubber wears out and then I will have the grinding back. I can see where it is rubbing and the wheel has grooves cut into it.
Do I need to rebuild? Are there parts that have gone bad inside the motor?

Thanks ahead of time.

What you need is a new harmonic balancer pulley.

The mechanic that said you need a rebuild is a crook, and is the reason most people do not like the small time mechanics anymore. He was simply feeding off of your lack of knowledge of vehicles.

Now back on course, the harmonic balancer has two metal rings held together with a band of rubber between them. When the rubber gets saturated from engine oil over the years it begins to deteriorate and eventually separates. When the rubber separates the outer pulley is now just floating around, and will slide back to where it contacts the timing cover. I've had around 6 of my own Jeeps do this.

Get a new balancer put it on and drive happy and worry free my friend!!

What you need is a new harmonic balancer pulley.

The mechanic that said you need a rebuild is a crook, and is the reason most people do not like the small time mechanics anymore. He was simply feeding off of your lack of knowledge of vehicles.

Now back on course, the harmonic balancer has two metal rings held together with a band of rubber between them. When the rubber gets saturated from engine oil over the years it begins to deteriorate and eventually separates. When the rubber separates the outer pulley is now just floating around, and will slide back to where it contacts the timing cover. I've had around 6 of my own Jeeps do this.

Get a new balancer put it on and drive happy and worry free my friend!!

Exactly what 3QuarterTon CJ said....

Exactly what 3QuarterTon CJ said....

X2..

I would do it sooner than later...

I had an 82 chevy van with a straight 6.... One day on the interstate, the harmonic balancer separated. It made a HELLUVA noise when it let go. Thinking I had run something over, I looked out the side mirror just in time to see the balancer flinging across the pavment and into the median.. Thank GOD it didnt hit anyone!! I stopped and retrieved it as I noticed the radiator was leaking badly...

Sooner than later.... good luck..

And I totally agreee... that mechanic is a crook... If it were me, I'd get an estimate from him (giving him the "out" of changing his story) and then let everyone know who he is...

It is already at the shop. Having a heck of a time getting it off. Lots of Chem's today, hoping for lucky day tomorrow. Safety first, cosmetic second.

Not easy to find good mechanics in this town. But I will find them eventually. Cant wait to buy a house so that start tearing this thing apart myself. :)

Have u tried buy/renting a harmonic balancer. Well worth the money!

Have u tried buy/renting a harmonic balancer. Well worth the money!

Yeah, a balancer puller cant be more than about $20.
I used mine 3 times this week!! definitely a tool worth having in the box.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom