CravinaJeep

CravinaJeep

CravinaJeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Hello, My name is Dan and I am CravinaJeep litterally. This will be my fist and I really need an education. So far I only know that the CJ7 's have a little bigger foot print that the others out there. That sounds like a littler more stability to me. COULD be wrong!

I have been looking on Ebay and Craigs list and I am on information overload. The adds describe so many different engines, transmissions, transfercases, axles, Detachable sway bars, lockers, wheels, tires, winches, tops ect....

Not knowing any thing about jeeps I don't really know what is good and what is not. There for I don't really know if I am getting a good deal or not. I know the basics like 8 cylinders are better than 6. But do I really need 8???
I know big tires will let me play in more mud than street tires. But at what point will the jeep become unstable with REALLY BIG tires?

I am mechanically inclined and not afraid to get me hands dirty. I should have most tool but am very excited about buying more :)

What I have seed so far is the $5K will get something dependable, and $10 will get me something that looks nice.

So I am sending out a request to be educated by those who have already been the and bought the shirt. HAHAHA!

Oh yea what are Tags and Trackbacks? I am also a first time poster on a forum.

Any assistance will be GREATLY Appreciated :notworthy:
CravinaJeep
D.R.Maly

Well...first off, let me welcome you to our little CJ site. Hang out, ask questions, and you'll be speaking the language in no time. You do have a lot of questions, and we'll do our best to help where we can. In the mean time, we'll start with some basics to your questions. The main diference between a CJ5 and a CJ7 is the addition of 10" in the front floor pan and door section, giving it a little longer wheelbase. Which one you want is simply up to which one you like better. As far as an 8 cylinder or a 6 being better than the other, I have had both, and each has their merits. But both are tough and tried engines that pull hard and do their jobs well. Big tires can bring big problems if you just bolt on big wheels without the needed upgrades to do the job right and safely. 5k should net you a pretty nice Jeep if you take your time and do your homework. None of us here started with a big tricked out rig, we started out small, and learned the ropes the right way, building our knowledge and Jeeps as we went along, and It's a fun journey.....for the most part anyway! Don't rush in too quickly, and learn a little about the nature of the beast before you go hunting, and you'll do just fine!

Wow!! Thats a heck of a first post. Way to stir up a hornets nest.:D Honestly like CW eluded to either one is a good choice. What Id research a bit is what you want behind and under it. Heres a little history to help you out.

The CJ7 debuted in 76 with the AMC 232 i6 six cylinder. More popular is the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l six cylinder wich would be found in the majority of Cjs since. The AMC 304 8 cyl was an option for the 76 to 80 Cjs From 76 to 79 the most popular manual Transmission was the T-150 3 spd. There also was an option for the T-18 4 spd wich has a granny low gear 6.32 to 1 or 4.xx to 1. The Cj7s up to 79 with automatics were full time 4wd referred to as the QuadraTrac package. If your looking at something before 80 Id stay away from anything auto and look for a AMC 304 with a T-18 behind it. Most likely you'll find that combo in a 76 - 79 CJ5 .

And... A quick post before I retire for the evening...

If the CJ does not have an AMC engine in it (swapped pr original), it is what I consider a hybrid.... Someone has altered the running gear form the original and you could be inheriting a problem... :)

If your looking at Jeeps 80 and up the question has pretty much been answered for you. A good portion of them are going to have the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l six cylinder. The transmissions are as follows SR4 , T-4 ,T-5 and the T-176 . The T-176 is considered the strongest of the three. If auto Transmission is your thing you'll get the tf 999 behind the 8 or 6 cyl. Its a solid auto Transmission jeep used on part time 4wd Cjs. In 80 jeeps were equipped with the Dana 300 Transfer Case . The Dana 300 is considered by many as the best Transfer Case put in the Cj s. It has lower low range 2.62 than the 76- 79 Dana 20 at 2.03.

As far as axles go your front will be a Dana 30 and your rear will be a AMC20 . The rear should have the tubes welded to the center section and 1 piece axles installed. Your probably good up to a 35 in. tire with those upgrades. Beginning in 82 Jeep added about 1.5 in to each side of the axles. They are known as wide trac axles and are more desireable for a bit more stability off road.

If you like the manual Transmission grab a Cj with the AMC 304 , T-176 Dana 300 if you can find one. If not take the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with the same combo.

Im not saying it would die right away or anything but Cj is right on the money with this one. Remember these Jeeps are 30 something years old and have most likely passed through a few hands. Look for hap hazard wiring as a clue to back away. Personally Id stay with one that had a Amc motor in it. Alot of people do swaps inside the Amc family. My CJ5 went from a AMC 304 to a 360. You can find larger 8 cyl. motors in the fullsize Jeep trucks and wagoneers. The Cj only came with the AMC 304 from the factory. Now that Ive probably overloaded you with info most Cjs in the price range you mentioned should be in good mechanical order and decent bodywise. Id never spend $10,000 on a CJ5 or CJ7 . You should be able to find a solid one between $3000 and $6000. Even cheeper depending on what you want to do by yourself. If your a bodyman find a rusted one with a good drive train. If your the engine rebuilder type look for someone whos done the sheetmetal work already. Happy shopping!!
And... A quick post before I retire for the evening...

If the CJ does not have an AMC engine in it (swapped pr original), it is what I consider a hybrid.... Someone has altered the running gear form the original and you could be inheriting a problem... :)

One more thing : Be patient. The right Jeep will come along. When it does youll know. ;)

Oh yeah. As for the poll I voted 8 cyl. I love my 360.

Wow thanks so much for all the input and so quickly. Sounds like 82's and above. This is great we getting closer to what I want.
It's just my personal opinion but isn't manual the only way to go in a Jeep.

I would like to hear other opinions on the AMC 304 eng. I was warned away from them buy some one??????

Please keep the info coming and thanks again.

if you or a friend (that will be riding in it a lot) are any kind of tall, both of you will appreciate the extra length of a 7. My bride is 6' and doesn't have a lot of legroom.
That aside, personally I like my 5s. Bit smaller package to play around with on the trails.

OH and I voted for the V-8! NO replacement for Displacement, and I like having power to spare on tap. If your in no hurry, stay with a I-6! :laugh: <ducks for cover, yelling you can't catch me with that AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l !> :laugh:

Well time to stir the nest up here.
Seems the later cj group has got a few words, time for the early group.
I love the 71 and earlier cj5s and sixes. you want length go for a six, want tight turns on trail go for the 5.
There are a few reasons I go for these groups.
and as already said, most Jeeps have seen a few owners and mods have been done. some wanted, some not.
first is the rear axle, the Dana 44 is in all of these, either the tapered or flanged, getting a flanged unit is a plus but then I prefer the tapered, with a full floating kit and a locker. The benefit of full floating a Dana 44 really add strength to the drive line. Next reason I like them is the Transfer Case . you have a PTO port, have to love a PTO port for either a Overdrive unit or a PTO winch. Plus you can get 3 to 1 low range for the D 18 t case.
try for a 65 thru 71 with a 225 odd fire V6. they are light, short and are legendary for their torque.
I know accessories are fun to find for these jeeps, but that puts you in another group, owners who fab up a lot of thier own stuff, and feircely proud of their ingenuity.
However you go, you will find yourself modding the CJ to get it how you want it, I was just offering why I choose early Jeeps, 1971 and before.

I voted V-8 because you can always use less skinny pedal, you can't add later, well without $.

I'd get a really nice v-8 CJ7 as close to stock as possible then, modify it to your hearts content, you'll learn alot and have a reliable vehicle, instead of having to fix someone elses :dung: and learn the hardway.

What you plan to do with it will dictate your needs, IE. lockers, big tires, v-8/I-6 etc. etc.

Just for reference I prefer 33" tires they are big enough yet not too big to cause you to worry on corners and still have pretty good road manners.

As for auto vs. manual I prefer an auto it's less to play with on a trail you don't have to fight the clutch the whole time and on long slow trail rides the stick gets old quick. Yet I do drive a CJ5 with a manual. But when I sell this one my next will be an automatic.

I had a stock YJ (wrangler) 4 banger with 30" super swampers and it thought it was part mountain goat, that thing went everywhere I pointed it. So remember your jeeps capability has alot to do with who's driving it also.

I wanna play in the mud and sand. Not sure about rocks, but who knows. Maybe.
Do you need locker for that? How do Lockers work.

I was told that there have been a lot of problems with the heads on the AMC 304 , but I could get a set of 360 heads and do, I think he called it a top end overhaul. Replacing the Heads, pushrods, and covers I think. Think I will just look for the 360.

Are there any benefits to getting a manual Transmission .

So now I am looking for 82 + with T-176 , & Danna 300 t case, with the best axles I can get. Well now we are getting some where.

Thanks every one. Please keep the info comming.
And remind me to be patient.

CravinaJeep

if you get an 82 an later it came with a six , an AMC 360 can be found in grand wagoneers pretty easy:chug:

IMHO.
1) if you are only playing in the mud and sand I would stay with Limited slips or selectable lockers (arb,eaton e-locks or ox) to avoid on road problems with full time lockers. (if you have to deal with snowy roads) If rocks are in your future than lockers are a better choice. (still selectable)
2) not sure about AMC 304 's
3)for mud and sand I would go with a built up auto Transmission .(I like mine in the rocks also):eek:
4)for post 82's you are going to have a Dana 30 in front and AMC20 in rear both are good for 35" and less tires with some upgrades.
Also they will be 6 cly's inless someone did a swap to a v8.

Oh quick tip look at the cost of replacement parts for each year some are more pricey than others.

You said mud and sand, those two need HP not torque,need a CV8 and large tires, do not need much articulation, run low CG and long bumpstops with mas power.

I agree with mud and sand that HP and Torque are your best friends, gearing will also play a big part with the two choices above. A Vote for V8 here.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom