CravinaJeep

engine size

• 8 Cylinder

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • 6 Cylinder

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
CravinaJeep
Well I am so thankful for all of you who are kind enough to educate me. I have lots more questions and hope you have answers.

1) What year did the electronics or computers come into play. I really want to stay away from that. I should be able to fix just about anything except an engine or Transmission .

2) What do I need to know about lockers?? My understanding so far is they provide positive traction and that is all I know. Some one mentioned something about need and air pump or something to make them work??

3) How big of a winch do I really need??

4) Do you have to get out and lock in hub for 4X4 on a Jeep??

Well that is all for today everyone. I will be back on dry land tomorrow and have a much better internet connection. So I will bombard you more then.
Thanks again
CravinaJeep.

PS Any tips for navigating the photo gallery?

Well I am so thankful for all of you who are kind enough to educate me. I have lots more questions and hope you have answers.

1) What year did the electronics or computers come into play. I really want to stay away from that. I should be able to fix just about anything except an engine or Transmission .

2) What do I need to know about lockers?? My understanding so far is they provide positive traction and that is all I know. Some one mentioned something about need and air pump or something to make them work??

3) How big of a winch do I really need??

4) Do you have to get out and lock in hub for 4X4 on a Jeep??

Well that is all for today everyone. I will be back on dry land tomorrow and have a much better internet connection. So I will bombard you more then.
Thanks again
CravinaJeep.

PS Any tips for navigating the photo gallery?

1. not sure on that one.
2. you want a selectable locker if you drive it daily or on the street alot, selectable as in you can lock the axles when you want. A locker locks both wheels together so you get power to both wheels and not to the one with the least traction. The air pump is for lockers that are actuated by air, some use cables, some are electricly activated.
3. as for the winch the biggest you can afford but at least 1.5 times the vehicle weight.
4. yes and no, you can leave the hubs locked but the Transfer Case in 2wd but the front axles will spin and gas mileage will suffer. Then there are non-selectable hubs but have the same issue.

1)As far as the computer goes, you can do a teamrush upgrade and do away with it if you want.
2)what brock said about the lockers
3)I would do at least a 8000lb winch but no more than 10k. And IMO not a china made one. (ask me why I say that)
4)most jeeps will have lockout hubs, when you get to the trails just get out and lock them in, no biggie

1) computers? dunno, my '76 doesn't seem to have one, my '83 did.
2) lockers? lockers of any kind will help you get thru stuff you thought you would never get thru, and get you stuck faster and harder than you ever wanted to. :laugh:
Personally I run a LOT of mud (racing and playing). I welded up the rear of mine (since I blew up the guts during a race anyways :)) Tire wear WILL suffer with any full time locker (welded is a full time locker) but the advantage in the slop for me is worth the slight tire wear I see. Some lockers (Detroit for one) will cause adverse handling on the street until you learn to drive the Jeep all over again.
There are different kinds of lockers and costs involved for each kind. I personally DO NOT recommend anything of the 'lunchbox' variety. BTDT, wont happen again.
3) Winches? For hills and mud. 8K is a minimum with a snatch block around in case the winch isn't enough. I'd love a 10K winch but mine came with the CJ.
4) Lock-outs? Don't think of a lock-out hub as a hinderance and something to be avoided, look at it as POSITIVE LOCKED-IN PROOF that you are ready to tackle that big hill without worrying if your front end is actually doing its part. Its part of the ritual of 4x4'ing, like airing down tires.

1)As far as the computer goes, you can do a teamrush upgrade and do away with it if you want.
2)what brock said about the lockers
3)I would do at least a 8000lb winch but no more than 10k. And IMO not a china made one. (ask me why I say that)
4)most jeeps will have lockout hubs, when you get to the trails just get out and lock them in, no biggie

OD are you thinking of the nutter bypass? the Teamrush upgrade deals with the ignition parts, not the computer.

Nutter bypass:
The "Nutter" Bypass

TeamRush upgrade:I know this is for the I-6 but it shows the conversion well
I-6 'TeamRush Upgrade' (definitive) - JeepForum.com

^^^ mylittlecj5, Yes you're right I ment the nutter bypass:eek: my bad.

I am clad I found this place. You guys are the greatest.
So what are you saying OD??
I am taking a lot of notes here. Surprise surprise I have more questions.
I will be back on dry land today and hope to start looking tomorrow.

1) How do you identify Axles, Tcase, Transmission , Engine size AMC 304 - 360.
To make sure when I am looking people are telling me correct information.

2) Are the lockers internal parts? If so how do you know whats what?

3) I would like to learn more about this "Team Rush" Upgrade.

4) When did fuel injection come into play. Does it take a computer.
Is it good or bad?

5) And on to the important stuff. How do you keep you radio playing if you getting everything muddy and wet???

6) Last one for today. What recommendations do you have for protecting you stuff in your Jeep like stereo, speakers, tools ect.

Thank you all again.
I wish there was some way to repay all of you generosity here.
CravinaJeep

I am taking a lot of notes here. Surprise surprise I have more questions.
I will be back on dry land today and hope to start looking tomorrow.

If its an AMC engine, it will have the engine size cast into the block under the motor mount bosses.

Yes they are internal in the differentials. YOu would have to open them up and post pics if you think you have them for ID.

3) I would like to learn more about this "Team Rush" Upgrade. Read the above link. IT applies to V8s as well. Lots of info on it, its been around for 20 years.

Is it good or bad? It does take a computer, yes. Do you need FI? that depends on you and what you want to do with your CJ.

5) And on to the important stuff. How do you keep you radio playing if you getting everything muddy and wet???
expect it to not survive long. However there is an alternative I just read about. It uses your IPOD, an AMP, and a set of speakers.

6) Last one for today. What recommendations do you have for protecting you stuff in your Jeep like stereo, speakers, tools ect.
TUFFY locking boxes are among the best (and they charge accordingly). My take is to NOT leave anything in there that you want to keep. NO top on a Jeep is secure, hard or soft.

Thank you all again.
CravinaJeep

Oh don't worry, you'll pay for all this wealth of knowledge...:laugh: :chug:

Is it good or bad?

CravinaJeep

I'm saying the "nutter bypass" does away with the computer.
FI came along with the YJ no CJ's had it. But IMO it's great to have and yes it takes a computer to make it work.

3) I would like to learn more about this "Team Rush" Upgrade.

Is it good or bad?

Thank you all again.
CravinaJeep

1. The AMC engines will has the motor size AMC 304 - 401 stamped on the side of the block below the exhaust. As for the tranny and Transfer Case you just have to check out sites like novakadapters and compair it to what is advetised, same with axles.
2. Lockers go inside the front and rear axles, so without opening it to look you just have to believe the buyer, but equipment used to activate the locker is a good hint.
3. nutter bypass: The "Nutter" Bypass Team rush: I-6 'TeamRush Upgrade' (definitive) - JeepForum.com
4. Check out companies like howell and affordable fuel injection, it's a chevy throttlebody, computer, harness, and a few sensers well worth it upgrade.
5. Buy a marine grade radio from a boat store, or mount it inside your tuffy center console. Another option is a setup that uses no radio just an Ipod, amp and speakers, then you just take the Ipod when you get out or leave.
6. As for protection start with a tuffy glove box and center console, alot of people use old ammo cans bolted to the floor with locks to secure items.

I used marine grade radio equip. radio, speakers, amp. No radio in my current CJ5 at this time. But i'm gonna install the ipod setup I mentioned, plus it'll handle riding int he jeep better than a traditional radio, and it keeps theft down.

Well hello again all, and thank you for the input. I am again in search of knowledge.

1) Who knows when jeeps went from metal to fiberglass bodies?

2) Any ideas for locating a CJ7 . I am currently looking at craigslist and ebay for my area.

I really think all metal is the way to go. I have finally made it out to look at a couple only to be disappointed. From what I saw in the picture to what was really there. But I know there is one out there for me. I just have to be patient. I just want to GO PLAY NOW.

Some one passed along a Quadratec mag with all the replacement parts.
OH MY GOD. :drool: I am glad I have a good budget. As long as I don't blow it all getting the Jeep itself.

can't wait to see your comments.
CravinaJeep

Well hello again all, and thank you for the input. I am again in search of knowledge.

1) Who knows when jeeps went from metal to fiberglass bodies? Jeeps NEVER were made with fiberglass bodies. All fiberglass bodies are aftermarket.

2) Any ideas for locating a CJ7 . I am currently looking at craigslist and ebay for my area. You just have to keep searching - they are out there... :)
Replied inthe above quote...

Well Hello again everyone. Just wanted to say thank you again for all the help everyone has been giving. I actually made it out to look at some more jeeps this weekend. Nothing quiet right for me yet. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I tried the link to the SearchTempest and it just brought up Craigslist. Maybe I did something wrong.

Any how I am still looking for my CJ7 .

Hope every one had a great week end.

CravinaJeep

Well Hello again everyone. Just wanted to say thank you again for all the help everyone has been giving. I actually made it out to look at some more jeeps this weekend. Nothing quiet right for me yet. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I tried the link to the SearchTempest and it just brought up Craigslist. Maybe I did something wrong.

Any how I am still looking for my CJ7 .

Hope every one had a great week end.

CravinaJeep

the link is Searchtempest, but the site searches multiple cities at a time on Craigslist, instead of only being able to look at one city at a time. It increases your search and saves time.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom